What's new

Cinema Paradiso: The New Version... (1 Viewer)

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
OK, went to the press screening for this movie last night and NEED to address this. Number one, this movie (the original version) is one of my absolute favorites of all time. It was right at two hours long and pretty much a bare-bones DVD before being put on moratorium last year. Amazing film and I suggest to anyone that even appreciates film (much less LOVES it)- See this movie.

Now, I have the original disk. Decent transfer, but nothing spectacular to write home about. Last night's re-release added 51 minutes to the film, making it now almost three hours long. I have absolutely nothing against longer movies, if they're coherently assembled and done well. The new cut was also outstanding!!! Guiesippe Tonatore (sp?) added in SO much of the love story between Salvatore (the boy we see grow up throughout the film) and Elena, it really was a completely different movie. The mystery of love that Alfredo teaches the boy about is now fleshed out (yes, pun intended) for all to see. The added material is amazing and definitely worth a new viewing to all of those who already think they know the film.

Finally, this is the deal. These are, very similarly to Apocalypse Now and the Redux version, two very different movies. With the original DVD out of print, here is an amazing opportunity for Miramax to give a modern classic the treatment it deserves. BOTH VERSIONS OF THE FILM IN ONE SET!!!!!! Just the fact that the original isn't on the market any longer is frustrating when trying to recommend it to people. Not sure if the seamless branching option would be available here with the length of the whole film - Wouldn't want to compromise the quality of the film for this... #1 - Any thoughts from others who know of the original &/or have seen the new extended version as well and #2 - Hunt down this film and see it. If it's an (eek) full-frame VHS dubbed off a third-generation tv copy, I can't really say "go for it", but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Wasn't it always longer everywhere but the US?
And the long version you saw is actually the Italian original?
Or is this a third version?
Sorry if this is a silly question....

Whatever the case, I love the film and want it on dvd.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I have never heard anything about a longer version anywhere else. This is being billed as (direct from a Miramax Press Invite) - "Discover what really happened to the love of a lifetime" "Cinema Paradiso - The New Version..." "an all new version with 51 minutes of additional footage - Digitally re-mastered and in stereo for the first time" I also noticed that the rating has changed to "R" for this release from the previous version.

The new poster is nice, but not fabulous. Whereas the prior film's poster was Salvatore and Alfredo on top with the theatre the middle focus of the poster, this new one is only colored in shades of blue with gold/white writing showing Salvatore (in the teen years) with Elena kissing in the rain. Only shows the horizontal kiss in the rain from their shoulders on up and IS very romantic, but from the original film, the love shown was always either between Salvatore and Alfredo (father/son) or between those two characters and the beauty of film and life.

So, no... Though there might have been a different international version with a scene edit or two here and there, this really looks like a totally new, significantly different cut of the film... And, yeah, the love story with Elena that was added... Same brilliance as the rest of the already known story...

Christian R

Agent
The film was definitely the longer cut in Italy. However, American distributors cut the film down (like LEGEND OF 1900 and others). I guess the thought behind this is that American audiences generally can't handle a subtitled film for longer than 2 hours or so.(Of course BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF was not cut, but then again it's more an action oriented piece rather than a "arthouse release")

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
American distributors cut the film down (like LEGEND OF 1900 and others). I guess the thought behind this is that American audiences generally can't handle a subtitled film for longer than 2 hours or so.
Legend of 1900 is a bad example of this. It was done in English, not subtitled, and it was shown in a longer version only in Italy. The shorter version shown in U.S. theaters was the same version shown everywhere else outside Italy, except for maybe a special screening of the Italian cut.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
This is not a new version...it is the original 1988 version.

The version previously seen in the US was an edited version, in fact, I watched the 'new' 3-hour version several years ago on Canadian public television!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yep...I just found a review by James Barardinelli that answers my question;

When Cinema Paradiso was released in the late 1980s, the version seen by Italian movie-goers was much different than the cut shown to North American viewers. 51 minutes were sliced and diced from the U.S. release. The truncated edition is still a stunning, masterful production, but it leaves the audience with a nagging question: What really happened to Elena? The answer is provided in a 35-minute sequence that never made it into the 1988 American release

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
This is not a new version...it is the original 1988 version.
Not exactly.

The original Italian theatrical release was 155 minutes (after the director made concessions to the studio, but that was the original length). The film was later further shortened to 123 minutes when it flopped initially; this is the version most U.S. viewers know. After the film became popular, at Cannes and at the Oscars, it was restored to the 155-minute length for Italian video. That video soon was followed by another video release that offered the three-hour director's cut that's now in theaters.

So, yes, the director's cut is not new; it has been around for several years. But, no, it is not the original 1988 version.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The UK also originally had the edited shorter version. The 3 hour version was recently issued on DVD in the UK although unfortunately sound is mono, despite the same version having played in stereo on TV. I agree that the 3 hour version provides a more satisfactory, and bittersweet, ending.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Above everything, I haven't been in Italy for, well, ever... so I'm extremely happy that I have now seen and will continue to enjoy, not the 123 minute version, not the one with 35 minutes added back into it, but the full thing... My error not knowing there was this floating out there somewhere, but I'm sure most people probably didn't know this one either... Thanx for the info, and really - DO go see the new (or old, if you want to call it that) cut being released on Friday!!!!!
Quick addition: Remember it's saying that this is also the first stereo presentation... bonus! Now, naturally, somebody will feel the need to prove me wrong again here... Oh, well...
:laugh:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Ebert reviewed the new cut of Cinema Paradiso on his show a few days ago, and he stated that he preferred the original theatrical version.
Other critics have stated the same opinion.
I haven't seen the new cut, but from the additions made (especially the explanation of what happened to Elena) I think I'll prefer the theatrical cut also.
Anyone got any info on a upcoming Director's Cut DVD?
It would be ideal to offer the Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut in the same package - like Almost Famous.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Being as the Bootleg: Almost Famous is one of my absolute favorite disks, yup, that'd be the ideal method of distributing the two films. And though I do like the love story a lot and is VERY well done, the relationship between Salvatore and Alfredo is MUCH more prominent and the focus of the original cut. Probably do prefer the original take, if forced to choose between the two.
It's the one I grew up with, ya know...
(Hmm... Deja vu. Had the same feeling recently... Craving Reece's Pieces all of a sudden..)
:D

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Just announced:
Release date: 02-18-2003
http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdcalc2
This Miramax Collector's Series presentation of CINEMA PARADISO: THE NEW VERSION brings you the critically acclaimed classic as never seen before! A famous Italian filmmaker, haunted by the memories of his first love, returns to his hometown after an absence of 30 years. Upon his return, he reconnects with the community and remembers the highlights and tragedies that shaped his life and inspired him to follow his dream of becoming a filmmaker. For those who have never seen it -- and those who have never forgotten it -- director Giuseppe Tornatore's (MALENA, THE STAR MAKER) cherished, Academy Award(R)- winning motion picture is now fully restored, digitally remastered, and includes 51 minutes of never-before-seen footage!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Patrick McCart said
Then why did he give the director's cut a ****, while giving the shorter cut a ***?
I did a search, and I think that's an error on the web page. Yes, it does show ***1/2 for the original cut, while it does show **** for the new cut. However, if you click the links you'll see that the new cut gets a ***1/2 rating as well.
And yes, this is confusing that if Ebert gives one cut a better notice, why do they have the same star rating?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks