CINEMA PARADISO 170 Minute version R1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Is there any plans to release the 170 minute version for N. America?

2. JohnN

JohnN Agent

Robert,
    There was a discussion about this several months ago(I believe on another forum) and someone had replied that a new director's cut was being planned to replace the European 170 minute version which they thought was going to be 190 minutes. They also said that because of this, there were absolutely no plans to release the current Region 2 170 minute version in Region 1.
    I have seen no further information on this since that time.
    I finally gave up waiting about a month ago.. I ordered the Region 2 version from Bensonsworld in the UK and when it arrived, I went out amd bought a region free player.
    The PAL 170 minute version plays with NTSC conversion at 163 minutes.
    To me, this is the version one must see. This is the version that was shown on the 1989 film festival circuit, and the one that garnered the awards. My opinion, anyway.[​IMG]
    JohnN

3. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

I really love the director's cut of this film for the incredible amount of depth that is brought out in each character.

However, I do feel that he way the movie opens spoils the ending in a way when compared to the shorter cut. It's not my film however, and I must respect the director's choices.

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...according to this mornings paper, a "half-hour longer Directors Cut" of this will be released Nationally to theaters on May 17.

No mention is made in reference to 'half hour longer' than which version.

Adding 30 mins to the US/International cut would only make it about as long as the ORIGINAL Italian cut (155m) which now, as a DC, clocks in at 170 mins.

If this is MIRAMAX, who knows what will come out.