Cinema Filter in onkyo/integra

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Babek, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Babek

Babek Stunt Coordinator

Hi, if you have an onkyo or integra receiver, are you using the cinema filter option? I'm not too clear on what it does, but can someone please clarify it for me. Also, are you using it?
    thanks

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Cinema Filter is similar to Cinema Re-EQ in THX receivers. Its purpose is to soften some of the high frequencies that can sound too aggressive or "bright" on sources that were mixed for a much larger soundstage (like a large movie theatre). I have an Integra 6.4 so it has the THX version, but the purposes are the same. My (limited) experience with it so far is that is helps some DVDs, and is unnecessary for others. I have found it to be very source dependant.

Hope this helps.

3. Babek

Babek Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply

Does this mean you have your cinema filter on? I turned it on for the first time yesterday, and I guess it did help with minimizing the screeches and high pitched stuff.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I turn it on or off depending on the DVD or TV programme.

5. Kernel X

Kernel X Extra

Yes, if the DVD is recorded in THX I will use the cinema eq setting, which is it's intention. It cuts out a lot of the harshness you get from the front channels. Great receiver...Ken