What's new

Cinema Classics: Screwball Comedies on APRIL (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
BTW, TCM is playing Easy Living, Midnight and The Major & the Minor on April 22, so if you are like me and haven't seen the first two and want to do so before buying, you're in luck.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I just got back from the Costco here in Huntsville, AL, and they had twin packs of all the Universal Cinema Classics titles, including the new releases, for $12.99.
  • The Major and the Minor/She Done Him Wrong
  • Easy Living/Midnight
  • The Heiress/Going My Way
  • Scarface/No Man of Her Own
  • All Quiet on the Western Front/So Proudly We Hail!
  • Arabian Nights/Unconquered
A great buy! The price per title is cheaper than it would be during the DD 20% sale.

Brian Saur

Agent
Real Name
Brian Saur

Yeah, great movie, the best of the bunch by far, though Easy Living and Major and the Minor aren't too shabby either!

TimSaupe

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Saupe

Thanks for the post Tim - but I wish they would have paired them off better! All of the 3rd series, but they have mixed the first with the second on two of the pairs and I already have the first series.

I'll be picking a few of these up though!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
TCM ran a poll notlong ago(maybe it's still going on?) for which catalog/classics people wanted to see released on dvd. I was greatly disappointed to see Midnight hovering very close to the bottom of the long list. I thought for sure that would kill a release anytime soon- so it's all the more a relief to be getting this now. This was the last Claudette Colbert/ Universal owned title on my original (circa 2000) "most wanted" DVD list and it feels so great to finally be able to strike it off.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know where I can order replacement keep cases that Universal uses with the security snaps on the side?

Thanks!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I have to ask. What do you want those cases for? I hate those snaps more than almost any other case. If you want to pay for shipping, and for some new cases for me, I'll gladly ship you mine.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Because I like to keep symmetry.

And because half of my new discs came with these stupid TCM Robert Osborne introduction stickers on the plastic keep cases (god knows why they don't just put them over the shrinkwrap?) which destroyed the front of the case when I tried to peel them off.

I don't care one way or the other about the security tabs, they take all of 0.5 milliseconds to open and are no more a hassle for me than any other standard keep case. I'd just like to stick with the same packaging for the series. If you want to send me yours, I'll gladly cover the postage cost... so long as they're not all scratched and blotched up. I'll throw in an extra $2 for you to go to the store to pick up new cases. Deal?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Savant on The Major and the Minor

I am so ecstatic about having the film on DVD at long last. To this day, M & M remains my favorite Billy Wilder film. The unforgettable comedic turn by Ginger Rogers is what makes it all work.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Savant on Easy Living (37)

I just watched the film again earlier this week. One of THE funniest screwball comedies of the 30s for sure. I do hope we see a Mitchell Leisen boxset at some point. A genial, but highly underrated director. His films hold up so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks