Cindy Crawford wants to fly to the moon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

cnn.com article
    Hmmm,...maybe there's something of interest up there? Or perhaps she just wants to get away from the paparazzi while floating with Lance Bass. [​IMG]

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I read that earlier today. It sounds like she is waiting for a free invitation. The steep $20M price tag that the previous two space tourists have paid would wipe out about 2/3 of Cindy's approximate net worth. I don't see it happening.
    What would be nice would be if they rounded up all of the copies of Fair Game and placed them on the next rocket out of here. Let's just hope no other life forms find them, or they're sure to think there is no intelligent life on Earth.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Slight problem: No nation has the capability of manned travel to the Moon. The U.S. and the former U.S.S.R. have long ago dismantled their manned lunar infrastructures. No one can go to the Moon presently. And it's our fault.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

...fly to the moon. Just a figure of speech, folks. [​IMG] And of the recent celebs, she may be the most qualified, intellectually. I recall reading that Mrs. Gerber(?) has a Northwestern U. engineering degree under her belt (or something to this effect).

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    /Mike

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

8. Jack Briggs

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Jack, I didn't realize the poetry involved with your response and the topic at hand. I've seen your sig so often that I barely glance anymore.

Ahh,...the Saturn V. As a kid, I was completely enamored with this behemoth. I used to draw it an infinite number (granted, pretty easy to draw cylindrical shapes) of times and dream of space.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

12. Jack Briggs

To return to the Moon, we could use the space shuttle Orbiter for lifting, perhaps, a lunar-orbiting manned spacecraft. Of course, the vehicle must be designed, developed, prototyped, and finally manufactured. That doesn't happen overnight.

Then a landing vehicle must be put through the same paces.

After that, an upper stage is needed to loft the combined lunar orbiter/lunar lander on a translunar trajectory. The upper stage, of course, must be designed, developed, prototyped, and built too. Again, a few years for that.

Now, how to get the upper stage into low Earth orbit? Fully fueled liquid oxygen/liquid hydrogen upper stages are strictly verbotin as a payload for the space shuttle Orbiter ever since the ill-fated STS-51L mission (aka, Challenger's ninth and final flight). The astronauts finally had clout enough to put their collective foot down.

So, I suppose NASA could contract out with ESA to launch the upper stage into LEO via the Ariane V launch vehicle. Then the upper stage would have to be docked with the orbiter/lander combo at the ISS.

After all this is said and done, we are ready to return to the Moon.

And none of the above could be accomplished in less than ten years. Seriously.