What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg submitted a new blog post

Cinderella Liberty Blu-ray Review (Twilight Time)
cinderella-liberty-movie-poster-1974-1020240156.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The stereo option is most likely a Fox faux-stereo job. When Fox released DVDs they routinely offered a fake stereo option which wasn't a proper remix but just the mono track put through a stereo synthesizer. Recently Twilight Time has begun offering these fake stereo tracks as an option on their Blu-ray releases. It's best just to avoid them and listen to the original mono track.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mark, I suspect you're right. I just don't understand why Twilight Time can't include this information in either their liner notes or on the disc itself, as many other labels choose to do. I know there are times where it appears that one of the mixes is mono and the other is fake stereo, while there are other times when they include a 5.1 and a 2.0, and it seems that the 2.0 track might actually be a matrixed surround track, etc.

It's probably a small nitpick, but they're such a class act about everything that they do, and so thorough in their presentation of audio-only bonus material like isolated score tracks, that it's a little bit mystifying to me why they don't make that information more readily available.

I would never make a purchase decision or recommendation over that omission, but I think their audience would appreciate knowing the provenance of the different audio options.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Another fine review Josh! I personally hold this film in high regard, as I do with most of Mark Rydell's films. I will always associate this film with James Caan's best work, and Marsha Mason is wonderful.

For anybody who might be interested in Mark Rydell's television work, I recently posted about the episode he directed of the 1963 James Franciscus/Dean Jagger drama series Mr. Novak, "Sparrow on the Wire", featuring Mike Kellin and a young Beau Bridges, over in the TV on DVD forum. This episode was a very powerful and compelling story on Anti-Semitism. Of course, season one of Mr. Novak has not yet been released by WAC, but is said to be in the works. My screen caps from this episode were taken from my home made DVDs originally derived from TNT recordings in 1988-90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidperk49