Cimino's THE SICILIAN coming 11/20!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth English, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Great news, IMHO, but it's coming from Artisan so we'll have to wait and see what they do with it/to it. Hopefully they'll treat it better than they have most of their other catalog releases (EXTREME PREJUDICE anyone?). Let's pray for widescreen at the very, very least.
    My fingers are crossed... [​IMG]

2. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I had almost forgotten about this movie.
    It could have been a better movie with differnet star in the lead.

3. Kenneth English

4. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

Which version? There are two. One is badly cut (so much so that it makes no sense) and a complete waste of time, letterboxed or not... And the Director's Cut, which was on video for a time.
    Does Artisan list a running time?
    I read that Cimino and Lambert fought all the time on the set and that some cast members thought Cimino's direction of Lambert was way of. Personally, I think Cimino is just an OK director who got lucky with DEER HUNTER. Nothing he's done since has come close to that film and I'd say some of his films have been laughable at best. Year Of The Dragon was decent, but it's women characters were treated as cattle and portrayed as pathetic saps.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

5. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

But... "Year of the Dragon" contains a powerhouse performance by Mickey Rourke, one of his best, IMO (and I'm a huge fan of "Pope of Greenwich Village"), and it's a great NYC movie. I'd like to see YOTD on widescreen DVD...
    MC
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    "When your head says one thing and your whole life says another,
    your head always loses." (Key Largo)

6. Kenneth English

Not sure which version this is going to be. Several e-tailers (Amazon, DVD Empire, etc) already list it but none of them show any stats, just the release date. DVD Planet even has a cover shot but it offers no useful info (and I'm not at all sure it's the final artwork as it doesn't have the typical Artisan markings at all). Like I said before, the fact that this is an Artisan release doesn't bode well for features, OAR or anamorphic enhancement. We'll see.
    BTW: CD Universe has it for pre-order for $6.99 (50% off)! I've never ordered from them, so I can't vouch for their reliability but that's a damn good price! [​IMG]

7. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

all i have to say about this movie is the book was great

8. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I found it to be a good read. The film was just too self important. Cimino's direction was off. Some scenes stand out, but it is mostly a frustrating film to watch.
    I'll buy it if it's anamorphic and uncut. Otherwise, no thanks.
    I saw GUNMEN was announced the same day (already out as pan & sham only). Now there is a classic film. [​IMG] I wonder if this is a re-issue, or if it will be anamorphic widescreen.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

9. Kenneth English

Well, it's official: Artisan really sucks.
    According to the pics up at DVD Planet this will be Pan & Scam ONLY (or, as the box copy euphemistically refers to it -- "Full Frame Version").
    MGM has gotten a lot of flak here on HTF but the time has come to hand the mantle of Worst DVD Studio to Artisan. Why do they even bother putting out catalog titles?
    [​IMG]

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Artisan is so inconsistent on it's catalogue titles. They've letterboxed The Eagle Has Landed and the Cary Grant films but on Blake Edwards' That's Life, a true Panavision 2.35:1 film, it's a horrible P&S transfer. In Julie Andrews' most dramatic scene her head keeps bouncing in and out of the frame thus ruining the moment, not to say her performance.

11. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Don't bother I just wasted $10.47. Can you imagine the movie opens up in letterbox and then transfers to full view when the opening credits are finidhed. This one is not even worth a rental.