What's new

CIMARRON is a great film!!! Yes the 1960 "new" version. (1 Viewer)

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Although a flop, anmd panned universally, the film is a pleasure wioth its beautiful sweeping cinematography and Edna Ferber story. The stars might not fit their characters perfectly but Glenn Ford Maria Schell and Anne Baxter are always a pleasure to watch; another excellent Anthony Mann western - it is bigger, grander, maybe not better than, but certainly holds its own as a great entertainment. Warner are pulling one surprise Blu ray release after the other with titles that were largely either critical or commercial failures...again we have the world flesh and devil ...Penelope (a very weak film), Great Day in the Morning, Two on a Guillotine, It Started With a Kiss (slight Metro fluff). We have Guys & Dolls

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Cimarron the other day and was very surprised to find that the film is better than I thought it was. It's possible I was just in the right mood but nothing about it irritated me, unlike previous occasions I've watched this movie. I'm pleased I bought this disc.

I'm a big fan of the Warner Archive Blu-ray series and I don't get annoyed when they put out a disc that doesn't interest me. I know I'm not their only customer.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The film never found its audience.

MGM tried to market it as a roadshow after the success of Ben-Hur. It was only shot in 35mm and the efforts backfired in my opinion.

I saw it in second run after the roadshow flopped and I was surprised that it was a decent piece of history.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Recorded the TCM broadcast a few days ago. Looks and sounds great so I imagine the Blu-ray is even better.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The film never found its audience.

MGM tried to market it as a roadshow after the success of Ben-Hur. It was only shot in 35mm and the efforts backfired in my opinion.

I saw it in second run after the roadshow flopped and I was surprised that it was a decent piece of history.

Played at the Radio City Music Hall(NYC) in early 1961 with a stage show. Those were the days...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
This Cimarron might be great, but the 1930 perfectly cast (Richard Dix and Irene Dunne) Best Picture awarded masterpiece is even better. Probably a bit "too old" for WB to consider releasing in HD, but maybe they could loan it out to some other source so that collectors could somehow obtain the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks