What's new

Cigars (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
Josh,

Which Cuban Partagas did you smoke? What do you mean by funny? I have had a bit of trouble with those burning. I bought a Partagas Lusitania at Dunhill in London out of the 50 Cabinet, and the wrapper didn't burn well. I have a 4 year old Partagas Corona that I'm waiting to smoke, hopefully soon. Hopefully no problems there.

I've also had trouble with the wrappers burning on the Bolivar line. These are also made at the FPG factory (i.e. the Partagas factory in Cuba). That said, as I posted above, the cure seems to be letting the cigar age for about 2 years before smoking. My Bolivars smoke fine now (they are also about 4 years old). What I like to do is buy about 2-4 boxes every year (along with some singles when I'm on small trips). Then rotate and smoke 2-4 boxes (of two year old +) a year. Obviously, it takes two years of "stocking" before you can start smoking.

In any event, I did buy another Partagas Lusitania at La Casa del Habano in Paris. The problem is I want to smoke it now, but I have to wait two years!!! :)

Regards,
Dan

AllanN

Supporting Actor
What is a good cigar for someone who has never had one before? I never got into it but have always wanted to try.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Which Cuban Partagas did you smoke? What do you mean by funny?
I'll have to ask what Partagas it was. I meant "funny" as in it would burn down one side of the cigar or the other, like carving out a canoe from a log. I kept having to even it out with a lighter.

Four of my friends from work and I took a long lunch today. After we ate we went out to the garden at our building and lit up some Montecristos I brought in. It was most excellent - relaxing on Friday, enjoying cigars outdoors in a shady grove of trees, BSing and laughing about some of the funniest stuff. Days like this make up for the hellish and I mean -hellish- days I usually face.

Tonight after I get home it's going to be dinner and then a CAO robusto followed by Royal Tenenbaums. This will be the first Friday I've had to -relax- on in a month.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Allan...start out with some of the lighter fare, like the regular line from Macanudo.

Josh, ok , I see what you mean about the burning. If you remember to ask your buddy, I'm still interested in which Partagas you smoked, and what you thought of its taste.

Regards,
Dan

DanR

Supporting Actor
Just got done with the new CAO Extreme. It was a pretty decent, but ultimately forgetable cigar. People rave about the CAO, but I just don't see what the big deal is. I've smoked every CAO there is now, and the best is the Anniversary Maduro (the red banded one). The rest are average.

Regards,
Dan

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Jin, that is a beautiful pic ;). what do you guys recommend for a $5~7 cigar? its been a while since I've had one, figured I should light one up again.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
That's pretty funny about the Partagas. I have smoked well over 20 ISOM Partagas in the last couple of months and haven't experienced one draw or burn issue. I smoke sizes ranging from the Lusitania, 898 Varnished, Series D #4, to Corona and Culebras. I must have been lucky :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Also,

I highly recommend Padron cigars. They have one of the most distinct flavors on the market, and have a myriad of sizes to choose from, as well as coming in a natural and maduro wrapper. If your lucky enough to get your hands on the Anniversary or 1926 editions, you will be in store for one of the best cigars on the planet.... Very close to ISOM in my opinion.

Jin E

Second Unit
what do you guys recommend for a $5~7 cigar?
I will second the Padron reccomendation. Probably my favorite brand. The Anniversary and 1926's will be out of that price range though.

After Padron I would look at something from the Villazon factory (Hoyo de Monterrey, El Ry Del Mundo, Excaliber, Excaliber 1066, Bolivar Fuerte, Flor De A Allones, JR Ultimates, etc). It's really hard to beat the price/quality of the cigars from Villizon.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
There are all kinds of good cigars in the $5 - $7 range. Montecristos, CAO, H. Upmann, Partagas, Macanudo, etc. My favorite cigars are the Montecristo "seconds", they're rejects that I get for $1.49 each at a local shop. Unless you see one with really bad flaws (like the wrapper is half fallen off or missing), they are usually just as good as the $7 "firsts".

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Whats a good book (or internet site) to pick up for someone who doesnt even understand all the naming standards, popular brands, sizes, etc?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
do some searches on google for cigar FAQs. and cigar aficianado magazine is a good resourcee, too.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Thanks for the links guys. Also, I was wondering how many people besides myself either dont or cant inhale?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I love this thread. You get folks coming out of the walls here. I never even heard of Steve Simon before this thread. He's an admin?

Oh well, keep up the recommendations guys. I'm too simplistic as I enjoy Backwoods and Monte Cristo. :b

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Dome Vongvises,
I never even heard of Steve Simon before this thread. He's an admin?
We'll after doing a search on all of your posts I could give a perfect explanation of why you never heard of me?? I can see that you never post in the Hardware areas of our forum. You will hardly find me in Polls, Movies, and Software, which is where you post often.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks