What's new

Cigar Smoke around speakers (1 Viewer)

Edward_B

Auditioning
Hello All,

Will cigar smoke damage speakers or other hifi/home theater equipment? I plan to upgrade from my current speakers (Bose 301) to Magnepan 1.6's this summer. I want to mate this with a Musical Fidelity X-150 or similar integrated amp. I'm planning to spend $5,000 on upgrades and new equipment.

If I light up a fine cigar to enjoy with Beethoven and my new stereo will I be causing harm to the equipment? It would be a shame to wreck a $5,000 stereo with a $70 box of cigars. Would some speaker or amp types be more susceptible to harm from cigar smoke (traditional cone, ribbon, electrostatic, solid state, tube). The volume of smoke that I'm talking about is likely to be 2 - 3 Churchill size cigars per week.

On a related note are there any air purifiers on the market quiet enough to use while listening to music?

For the sake of this discussion let's ignore the harm that I'm causing to myself.

Thanks.

Ed

E

Eric Kahn

Your cigar is going to put out "tar" which will stick to any surface, I do not know how fast that it will accumulate on the speaker diaphram, you might want to call magnepan and ask them this question.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure how much damage cigar smoke would do to the internal components of a a/v reciever, but one who also enjoys fine cigars, I don't smoke around any of mine equipement.

Not sure if you have a projector in your place, but i probably wouldn't smoke around it. Its very easy sometimes for dust particles to attachment themselves to the lens inside the case.

If your looking for some resell value in the future, I know a lot of sellers state that their equipment was smoke, pet and child free.

I know you feelings of wanting to enjoy your music with a fine cigar. Many times i would love to light one up in my basement listening to multi channel jazz while sipping a great red wine.

I'm sure others here will be able to tell you more indepth reasons about smoking around your equipment, but on a personal note, I would not smoke around my equipment.

Paul

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
:confused:

You are worried about what cigar smoke will do to your electronics?

What about what it does to you and those around you?!

I hope you enjoy your speakers and your cigars, but the juxtaposition is curious.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

Chris,

I think Edward was pretty clear about this discussion not turning into what health effects cigar smoking may cause.

I believe there is a thread in After Hours just for a discussion on cigars and many on this board enjoy cigar smoking.

Paul

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
it will kill your stuff about half way through the first cigar. you have only one choice, send me your stash and I'll dispose of it in a safe manner.:D

sit by a window with a small fan and you'll be fine (now that the good weather is here in the northeast).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks