Cigar aficianados-Need Humidor help!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Leroy, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Finally got around to getting myself a humidor for my growing cigar collection (had been keeping most in plain cigar boxes).

I keep reading conflicting methods on how best to hydrate the humidor before I can use it. Some say place a sponge/shotglass/small bowl with distilled water for a few days, others say to speed the process to moisten the cedar with a cloth dampened with distilled water.

Can anyone offer any advice?

BTW, cigarcigar.com has a great deal on a 75 capacity humidor at only $35+shipping. It's the one I got and it is quite nice, comes with hygrometer, humidifier, tray, 3 dividers, nameplate and keylock all lining/tray/dividers are spanish cedar.

2. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I soaked all the cedar inside with distilled water, let it soak into the wood along the base and used a sponge to get the top and sides. Takes about 24-48 hours to really treat the wood.
    After that I soak the retainer in distilled water about once a week. Keeps everything right around 72% inside.

3. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

I currently have two humidors and ive never been really satisfied with them - it seems like cigars almost always dry out i did prep the humidors and kept the resevoirs filled with distilled waters). Their not high end models - one is your basic $50 Cedar and the other is slightly nicer and when you close it you can feel the air pressure which usually implies a higher quality humidor. It seems like my humidor kept cigars are never as good as the ones from a local cigar store - i don't have a digital display which i understand is the only really accurate way of measuring humidity but i do keep them filled regularly. anything im doing wrong - maybe my wife is tampering with them to get me to stop smoking?

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I'm by no means an "aficionado"... but I wanted to know, is there any reason to have a humidor in Florida? I mean, we're always got almost 100% humidity down here and I've just always kept my 'gars in a tupperwear container. Think there would be any benefit to keeping them in a climate-controlled box?

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

6. cleondann

cleondann Auditioning

Thanks for the info. I have also a good collection of small and large humidors