Cieling treatment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Rudy, Sep 7, 2002.

1. David Rudy

David Rudy Auditioning

Can anyone recommend a good ceiling acoustical treatment that is inexpensive and at least somewhat attractive?It must also have high W.A.F. (wife acceptance factor)figured in.Will consider all suggestions including cheap & quick D.I.Y. remedies. Thanks D.R.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You have a couple of choices, you can call the Sopranos to handle to W.A.F. or look at sites like:
    www.acousticsfirst.com
    www.tubetrap.com
    You can also get ceiling tiles at Home Inprovement centers or just put 2x2s or 2x4s and build it down a drop and stuff it with insulation and then finish it to your liking. They also make 4x8 ft. sound deadening stuff and have it at places like Home Depot but is is a brownish color and probably won't have a high W.A.F. so you would have to cover it with something.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what is it that you're trying to achieve? isolating the upstairs room or perhaps reflections?

4. David Rudy

David Rudy Auditioning

I am trying to snuff out a early reflection problem. The ceiling is completely bare. It's not as noticeable while listening to dvd soundtracks as it is with music. Thanks,D.R.

5. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

You might want to deal with the first reflection points along the side walls first. And bass traps in at least the front stage corners before you consider the ceiling as a cause of all your ills.

Start with the basics first.

BOK

6. David Rudy

David Rudy Auditioning

I have done some acoustical treatment using a Roomtune pack and cured most of the side wall reflection,but still need something for the ceiling.However you are right Brian, I do need to address the bass at some point too,but I think that bare ceiling is my biggest problem as of now. P.S.
    I just watched WE WERE SOLDIERS and thought it was excellent!My Velodyne was a rockin!!!Great movie.Man, this HT stuff is FUN!!!! Thanks D.R.

7. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

David,
    Yeah, treating a room with acoustical treatments can take quite a bit of trial and error.
    Your MG RTunes , as you say, are a great start. I took the easy way out for my dedicated basement HT and went with the Jon Risch "Quick & Dirty" recipe bass traps for my front two corners. Four rolls, with high-loft poly batting, and then wrapped with jute. I also use his side wall panel recipe for the first reflection. I use Auralex (expanding foam filled) diffusors as well on the front wall ceiling junction and along the upper side wall and rear wall ceiling junctions.
    If I had a dollar for every time I moved the diffusors, sat and listened, moved the diffusor array again, sat and listened, I would have a new Rava sub ;^) in my room.
    Acoustically treating a room is very challenging, but it is worth more than a fancy cable, a beefier amp, or a new preamp put together. MG's tuning principles comes to mind.
    If you have not already checked out this site, please do as a DIY path-- www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a1.htm
    Also the ASC site... www.tubetraps.com is a great primer, less the price if you DIY.
    The room is most of the sound, IMO
    WWS sits in my rack -- still in the shrink wrap ..... waiting until the right time, as my family, wife included, may not take to this movie very well. As does Blade 11 !
    Good Luck,
    BOK

8. David Rudy

David Rudy Auditioning

Thanks for all the great advice and site links Brian.I know this chase for the sonic Holy Grail may be a daunting task at times,but I'm in it for the long haul.I'm thinking of adding a separate 2-channel rig in my basement and that will pose another set of problems.Oh well,I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks again, D.R.