Churchill in the 1930's: two takes come to DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Two DVD sets are coming soon of TV programs that dramatize Winston Churchill's life and times in the decade before WWII. One is last year's HBO TV show "The Gathering Storm" starring Albert Finney. This is by far the shorter of the two clocking at 90 minutes. Shot in 1:1.85 it will be an anamorphic disc from Warners.

The other is a British TV miniseries called "Winston Churchill: the Wilderness Years" starring Robert Hardy. This clocks in at 390 minutes. Shot in 1:1.33, it will be a 2 disc set from Wellspring. There exists a truncated 180 minute version on a Media Blasters single disc that was issued about a year ago: be careful preordering this title!

I remember the Robert Hardy series from 20 years ago. To this day I can't get the theme music out of my head. I missed the Finney HBO release last year. Although it won several Emmys, those who have seen both have very much favored the Hardy series. I'm planning to get it and pass on the Finney show. Any comments about this?

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I haven't seen either production. However, I would also be interested in hearing any comments. I have recently become fascinated with Churchill (I've just begun reading his books on WWII) and am extremely interested in learning more about him as a person and as a leader.

[​IMG]

3. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Don't pass on The Gathering Storm. It is worthy of its acclaim as one of the most literate and well acted films last year. Finney is superb. Glad to hear the release
    is imminent, any details? Dates? More info?. [​IMG]

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    The Robert Hardy film will be released on 11 March and the Albert Finney film on 4 February.

5. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

A point of pedantry: The Gathering Storm was originally broadcast here in 16:9 ratio (1.78:1).

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I'll ask again: has anyone seen any reviews for the DVD of the mini-series entitled “Winston Churchill: the Wilderness Years”, coming out on DVD this Tuesday (11 March)? For details see http://us.imdb.com/Title?0081963

This is the 1981 8-hour miniseries starring Robert Hardy as Winston and Sian Phillips as Clementine, not to be confused with the recent HBO 90 minute 2-part series “The Gathering Storm” that was released on DVD last month. The HBO version starred Albert Finney as Winston and Vanessa Redgrave as Clementine. Also the new DVD is the full 390 minute version produced by Wellspring Media, not to be confused with the partial DVD set of 180 minutes released on Media Blaster about a year ago. I’m pointing this out to help avoid confusion in ordering the correct version.

I saw this on PBS in the mid 1980’s and was very impressed. Although I haven’t seen “the Gathering Storm”, I’m concerned in that it’s too short. It reportedly doesn’t include either the abdication crisis or Munich, so it sounds to me like they cut too much out. “The Wilderness Years” covers everything of historic importance. It only lost out on some awards because it was up against “Brideshead Revisited” of the same year.