Chunhyang

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

My local Blockbuster has the worst selection of DVDs--simply the worst. And yet... I managed to find this very obscure little gem of a movie just sitting there on the shelf, only one copy for rent. If I hadn't seen it, I never would have heard of it, but I'm glad I did.

Very good movie. The singing, pansori voiceover narration was a little annoying at times, but it didn't detract too much from the story. I especially liked how the wife stayed faithful to her husband, even to the point where she was willing to die for her chastity. A refreshing positive message in this day and age of promiscuity and immorality...

Anyway, has anyone else seen this movie?

2. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

guess I'll watch it now...had it for ages.

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

It's a beautiful film of a classic Korean folk tale/love story. I was entranced by the Pansori performance, it wasn't "annoying" at all, it was a privilege to view this unique cultural art form. Director Im Kwon Taek does a skillful job of interweaving the live action story with the Pansori performance and best of all, lets us see a modern crowd enjoying this, giving us a sense of the emotional weight and cultural importance of the story, enjoyed by generations.

It's also a great looking DVD from New Yorker. One of their best transfers.

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I guess I'm just not used to pansori yet.[​IMG]
    The transfer was okay, but not great. I found it a little soft, but then I never saw it in the theater, so perhaps it was filmed this way. I noticed some shimmering and combing no matter what progressive mode I used, so I suspect it was not authored correctly.
    Great movie, though...

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

A highly lauded film when it came out, yet was swept away by the blockbusters. Didn't realize this was out on video...by the sounds of these few voices, it's worth the rental.

Shocking it's at Blockbuster...although I've been seeing some tiny gems there lately, too.