chungking express

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by phil choi, Feb 27, 2002.

1. phil choi

phil choi Auditioning

2. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

This will probably be uncut because it is considered an "arthouse" film. The laser disc from miramax was uncut so hopefully they left it alone.

Matt

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've been anxiously waiting for this title for a long time. Love this movie. I particularly liked the HK version of the Cranberries hit. Anyway, this release will round out Wong Kar Wai's "trilogy" availability on dvd (Happy Together and Fallen Angels).

From what I've read on this forum, my impression is that Miramax is infamous for butchering "arthouse" movies, e.g. Malena.

4. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't aware theat they had edited Malena. Do you know what was done?

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

In comparing the Italian version with the US version, the US version is 13 minutes shorter. I've heard that scenes involving Monica Bellucci and the young boy were pared for US taste due to the sexual nature.

6. Matthew Brown

Peter -

Quoted directly from an article msnbc.com ran the other day about Miramax's treatment of foreign films -

-Miramax spokesman says that all the changes on its films are made with the approval of the movies’ stars or directors. “Some of the changes were to update the film, some to streamline the film and some to clarify the narrative,” says the spokesman. “It was never to sanitize the project.”-

Matt

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

8. Matthew Brown

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Matt...thanks much for the link. I wonder why more people don't recognize or accept Miramax's actions as insidious? They are acting as the hand of God, as in tearing down the Tower of Babel. It's sad that they've taken on the role as arbiter for what is good and appropriate for US taste.

BTW...love your site. Hope you keep it truckin'.

10. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Forgot to add...

Matt, thanks for your efforts. It's great to hear the 'little guy' get some mention in a national publication.

11. Matthew Brown

Your welcome! [​IMG]
    What I found quite strange is that MSNBC was the last place I notified about the efforts of those who created the petition. I couldn't find any major DVD or Film web sites that were interested in the story. I don't think people realize that this is about all foreign films, not just Asian ones. Before the petition was setup, everybody tried to get support from those who knew what changes were made to other releases by Miramax but nothing really became of it. We had to go with what we could confirm.
    Jeanette Walls was very interested when I mentioned that Disney is attempting to thwart parralel importing laws by presuring the overseas distributors to not sell certain movies online. She found the whole thing amazing. She couldn't understand why Drunken Master II would have the last scene cut out. I e-mailed her links to support everything I told her. She was also amazed that HKFLIX.COM has disclaimers next to movies they aren't allowed to sell, such as SHAOLIN SOCCER.
    My only extremely minor critism about the article is that I wish it was clearer that I wasn't sure that SHAOLIN SOCCER was going to be butchered but I was concerned about what was going to happen to it.
    Matt

12. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

I've never read the book, but my impression is that Jonathan Rosenbaum writes about this exact subject in Movie Wars. Has anyone read the book, and is it relevant to this discussion or more generally, the issue of modified foreign movie releases or unreleased movies? Is it worth picking up / hunting down / borrowing from the library?

13. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

I'd check MOVIE WARS out of the library before buying it. I bought it, and was disappointed a bit - it's not at all footnoted or really supported, it's mostly ad hominem arguments against stuff backed up by anecdotal evidence.

To be fair, it does shed some good light on some of Miramax's practices. But, on the whole, I was left unsatisfied.