What's new

"Chuck" Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
PLIs - potential love interests.

Adam - if there is a next one it would have to be a palindrome like Anna or Hannah - like say Eve. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kristin is so very beautiful. I was shocked to see Josie Davis, though. I probably haven't seen her in 20 years (not counting reruns of Charles in Charge, which is where I know her from).

I don't know if we'll get more Chuck beyond this season, but I like the idea that he is growing towards being a competent spy. I think we thought he might be at that level after the season finale and the start of the season premiere, but having him actually get there without merely being a consequence of the new Intersect is a good thing.

Something I've been meaning to ask: how should the Crosstour ads be handled on DVD/Blu-Ray? Should they be handled? I know they're ads, but I'd kind of like to have them preserved since the trio are in character.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Did anyone else notice the quote from The Manchurian Candidate at the end of the episode?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Another fun episode. I wasn't sold on Shaw at first, but they are doing a good job of establishing his character. Chuck's ability to control the intersect a bit better is also a good move, and opens up a lot of potential, especially if it doesn't always work. I hope the NLI doesn't turn out to be another spy, it would be nice to have just a regular person in Chuck's life for a change, someone to create a dilemma about his career path again. Casey and Morgan make a great pair. About the only thing I'm not crazy about is Chuck's new hairdoo.

I don't know what the ratings are like, but they had better renew Chuck for another full season.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

I hope the NLI doesn't turn out to be another spy...
I don't know what the ratings are like, but they had better renew Chuck for another full season.
The ratings are quite good, considering the network and the timeslot--around a 2.5/6, with 7 million viewers in the all-important 18-49 demographic.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Hannah has been added in so that she can be killed after Chuck falls for her.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Chuck" is NBC's third highest rated scripted series right now behind "The Office" and "30 Rock". This says more about the dismal state of NBC than it does about the success of "Chuck" but it still bodes well for a fourth season. The only thing that it has working against it is that it's considerably more expensive than most of NBC's other scripted programming, even after the production budget was slashed for this season.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Are people skipping the first hour on Thursday? I thought maybe Community would be getting pretty good numbers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Are people skipping the first hour on Thursday? I thought maybe Community would be getting pretty good numbers.

They're all pretty much in the toilet. Right now, NBC only has two shows that can be called hits: "The Biggest Loser" and "The Office". Everything else, including "30 Rock" and "Chuck", ranges from mediocre to terrible. "30 Rock" does marginally better than the 8:00 hour comedies because it has NBC's second strongest lead-in.

When it comes to "Chuck", though, the biggest thing in its favor for renewal is the cancellation of the Jay Leno Show. That freed up five hours of schedule, which gives the show a lot more margin than it had this past year when it struggled with renewal.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
What Adam said. Sure would like to see how the show would fare on a less competitive night.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I tried Community when it first aired and didn't like it. I was surprised it survived.

Chuck hasn't had the easiest time getting established: The first season had the writer's strike carve a chunk out of the schedule; the second had a presidential race interrupting it, and the third has a mid-season premiere with an Olympic break to disrupt the watching routine.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
What an awesome and fantastic episode Chuck Versus First Class was.

Kristin Kreuk was a lot more tolerable and pleasing in this role(so far) than her time on Smallville.

Plus we got Josie Davis(Charles in Charge) looking really good as a stewardess.

Kreuk looks good in Buy More duds in nest week episode.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I didn't even know it was Kruek until the show was almost over, I didn't notice her bobble head when she spoke(someone here mentioned that like 5-6 years ago and I stopped watching Smallville because of it. lol) She still looks good, as does the CinC girl.

Don't know if it was same episode but gawd, when the Buy More employee climed the fence to escape and they attached the battery to it was so freaking funny, I couldn't stop laughing. The whole Fight Club thing was ridiculously good.

Edit - I think the Fight Club was the previous ep.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm a TV/DVD collector that resides on the std TV Bd so I don't visit this forum but a friend mentioned that there was a Kristen Kruek discussion regarding her role in Smallville so I thought I'd chime in and give my 2 cents worth about that subject.

I recently viewed Smallville up thru S7 on DVD for the first time and this show has been my all-time best blind-buy in my collection. As mainly a 50's thru mid-90's TV/DVD collector, this show was 1 of 2 shows in my DVD collection since the mid 90's (Firefly was the other one).

I really enjoyed Kristen's performances in Smallville and that was actually one of the main story arcs that kept me interested in Smallville thru S7. I thought that her on-screen scenes with Tom Welling were amazingly realistic and her role played a major part of making Smallville an exceptional show, imo.

Just my chime about this :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
No spoilers, but you are in for a good one tonight, although it's probably not what you expected. Great ending scene. ;)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll be curious to see the reaction. Looking forward to seeing it again tonight.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy they've decided to explore the walls between the various parts of Chuck's life starting to crumble, as long as they don't find some lame excuse to put Ellie and Morgan back in the dark. Since he's finally starting to get comfortable with the status quo, it was time to shake things up. Hannah helps do that, and this helps do that.

One thing this episode drove home to me is just how little time Chuck actually spends in the Buy More. Presumably days, even weeks go by between episodes with him devoted full-time to the Buy More. When we see him, though, he's out of there more than he's in there. Jeff and Lester are exquistely developed supporting characters. They only get a few beats an episode, but every one is so effective and says so much about their characters. This show is one of the best on television at maintaining consistent characterization. Even Chuck, who's probably the most maliable of the entire cast. When he does something that irritates the hell out of me, it's never the less something that I completely buy he would do. The last show that was this good at walking the tightrope between consistent characterization
Even consistent characterization is not the special in and of itself; lots of sitcoms have consistent characterization. But not since "M*A*S*H" has a show been this good at walking the tightrope between character moments that reinforce the characters and suprises that deepen and evolve the characters. Most of the people in Chuck's life are in a completely different place than they were in the pilot, but they are all recognizably the same at the core.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm happy they've decided to explore the walls between the various parts of Chuck's life starting to crumble

Yes!

All in all a very satisfying episode. The first two hour episode this season was only so-so, but it has been getting better every week. Its great to see Awesome struggling like this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks