What's new

Chuck Jones: 1912-2002 R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
:frowning:
jones.gif

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for helping to make my childhood so special. Can't wait to see what you, Mr. Freling, and Mr. Blanc are working on in paradise....look forward to it someday.

God Bless You.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Chuck, thanks for the many great childhood laughs. Gosh, those cartoons are still so fresh and funny and will continue to delight new generations for years to come. We are diminished by your absence.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
This truly closes the door on animation's golden age. Chuck Jones survived the passing of his contempories such as Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, and Friz Freleng, and veteran voice man Mel Blanc, made the Warner cartoons the fastest and funniest, with Bugs Bunny eclipsing Mickey Mouse as the most popular cartoon character in movie theaters.
Thank God his work and the work of his colleagues survives. Their collective output has made generations smile and laugh.
Chuck Jones made many astute comments about his work and the work of his colleagues. The cartoons were never made for children - they were made for adults, and were made for themselves. He also said he saw himself more like Daffy Duck than like Bugs Bunny.
Goodbye Chuck...
:frowning:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Very sad. He was definitely one of the true legends of animation. I grew up with his Looney Tunes shorts and they're still as entertaining today. And what would Christmas be without his masterful adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas?

Rest in peace, Chuck. Your work will be cherished for generations to come.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I merged your thread in the TV area with this one in the After Hours area.

My condolences to the family of Chuck Jones, who provided so many hours of entertainment to so many people. He'll definitely be missed.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
We will all miss you Chuck.
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Rest in peace, Mr. Jones. I'll always treasure the card and letter you sent to me through your assistant in 1993.

Both Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng were 89 years-old when they died.

Randy Duncan

Auditioning
:frowning: When I heard the news it smacked me like an anvil from 100 ft.
It isn't often that you can point to someone's work and say, "Because of this, this person changed my life." I can say that about three people: Jacques-Yve Cousteau, Wesley Eugene Rodenberry, and Charles Martin Jones. I long believed Chuck Jones to be the greatest American film director... from his theatrical work on Bugs in the late 40's through his television adaptations of Dr. Seuss' and Rudyard Kipling's books. To me his greatest moments will always be the shorts his team turned out at Warners in the 50's.
The more I thought about Chuck's passing the more I realized (as Worf said), "It is not a time to mourn." How many people can honestly say that they have touched the lives of literally millions of people across generations? Chuck could. And I defy anyone to watch his work and NOT smile.
Aside from his incomparable legacy, the thing I am grateful for the most is that Chuck lived long enough to receive the accolades he so richly deserved... a lot of the Warner gang didn't get to. Mike Maltese, Tedd Pierce, Ben Washam, Maurice Noble, Milt Franklyn, Bob McKimson -- just to name a few out of many.
I will miss the man who created Wile E. Coyote, the Road Runner, Pepe le Pew, Marvin Martian. This man, whose definitions of Bugs and Daffy are the ones that spring to mind first, made a LOT of us happy. And that is a debt we can never ever repay.
"Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal... send me your kiss by wire, tell me your one desire! If you refuse me, honey you'll lose me, and you'll be left alone so baby telephone, and tell me I'm your ooowwn!"
Fortunately for us, Chuck is ours now and forever.
:)
-- elrand / memphis

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks