What's new

Chuck Brown & Eva Cassidy- THE OTHER SIDE CD (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Eva Cassidy has been a bit of a phenomenon as of late, God rest her soul. I picked up her SONGBIRD & TIME AFTER TIME CDs,and liked them so much I wanted more. The local outlets didn't have all her CDs, so I went to Amazon. I knew from the Nightline show about her that she had been recording with Chuck Brown. On Amazon I found their album THE OTHER SIDE and promptly ordered it. It's the most entertaining album I've gotten this year by far!
Most of the tracks are duets with a few exceptions. Most of the tracks are old standards or newer standards, like Eva singing The Flying Burrito Brothers' DARK END OF THE STREET. The only original is Brown's own I'LL GO CRAZY.
Here's a track listing:
1. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL
2. FEVER
3. YOU DON'T KNOW ME
4. I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU SO
5. GEE BABY, AIN'T I GOOD TO YOU
6. I'LL GO CRAZY
7. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS
8. DROWN IN MY OWN TEARS
9. GOD BLESS TH CHILD
10. RED TOP
11. DARK END OF THE STREET
12. THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE
13. OVER THE RAINBOW
14. YOU'VE CHANGED
Chuck's deep baritone voice really sounds great with Eva's songbird like voice. Many of the cuts feature horns and then there's the excellent keyboard & vibe work from Lenny Williams. I think the players are Chuck's band, I'm not really sure? I used to listen to Chuck and his Soul Searchers many years ago. I lost track of him in recent years. This CD is dated 1992.
The two of them sound so good together! They must of had a very special relationship. You can feel the joy of their performances, it just bleeds thru. They really breath new life into dusty old standards. 10 of the 14 cuts are duets. Chuck performs YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS and THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE unassisted. EVA goes solo for DARK END OF THE STREET and her signature tune, OVER THE RAINBOW.
If you're a heavy metal kid, this CD is not for you. If you like blues, smooth jazz, and R & B rush out and buy this one!
P.S.- it's on Cbd records (cbd02263)
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 2 to go!
[Edited last by Rachael B on August 11, 2001 at 01:38 PM]

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,
I couldn't agree with you more. She's the most heartfelt and musical singer I've heard. Although not as rockin' as The other side, Eva by heart and Time after time are also great, but steer clear of No Boundaries.
You can check out more about the remarkable Eva at: http://users.erols.com/hoganandbligh/eva.htm
Jim

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thanks Jim! That's a really nice webpage. The forum seems disintrested in this kick-ass album, wintness the dearth of responses to my thread. They're missing a truly great album, proably? Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Time After Time at our local Borders last fall after hearing it at one of their listening stations. Since then I have purchased the Live at Blues Alley and Song Bird. Since the feature on Eva Cassidy appeared on Night Line there has been a huge surge in her popularity.
Best Buy used to have just a few of her CD's available. On Sunday I noticed our local Best Buy had three rows of Eva Cassidy CD's. I am glad more people are being exposed to a wonderful voice. Too bad it came 5 years after her death.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Marty, I've never seen THE OTHER SIDE at Busted Buy or other local outlets. I got it from Amazon and I'm glad I did. I think I like SONGBIRD to showcase Eva's voice the best, but THE OTHER SIDE is my new fav! You should aqquire a copy pronto and let the good times roll... Best wishes!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks