Chuck Barris, R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
chuckbarris0217.jpg

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/782297/Chuck-Barris-dead-The-Gong-Show-host-87

Some people may laugh at what I am about to say, but I was a huge fan of his.

Spent my High School years watching The Gong Show air at 11:30am. I hosted the school's Gong Show in my Junior year.

Always loved Mr. Barris. Had hoped one day I would have had the chance to meet him through a press function. That never happened.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Gong Show was great! I still wish some of those episodes were on disc. Of course, there's always the movie. I also watched The Newlywed Game and The Dating Game for several years - both his creations. Really stupid TV but really fun shows to watch.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Was it lowbrow entertainment? You bet. But Barris made people laugh, and that isn't a bad thing. RIP Chuck.

- Walter.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I have great memories of watching the reruns on USA Network weekdays in the '80s after school (I had watched the original run, but don't have many memories of that as I was much younger then). Wish I'd have the foresight to record some of those to VHS at the time, given that with current US music licencing law, more reruns (let alone DVDs) are highly unlikely.

Speaking of Dating Game and Newlywed Game being 'lowbrow' entertainment, I'm reminded of Barris' own description of the pilot episodes they recorded for Dating Game. He mentioned how raunchy the contestants got with their questions and answers, that it makes me wish those episodes would surface one day so we could see how things went before Chuck had to go back and reign it in!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks