Chu, others...need opinions of Belkin PURE AV PF30

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Heckler, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

I have been researching surge protector/line conditioners and came across the Belkin PURE AV PF30 AP20800-10 for around $100. It seems to have some pretty good specs with 3245 Joules of protection, 8 outlets, 2 pairs each for coax and phone, Phase 3 filter circuity, etc. Any experience or opinions on this unit?

Jack

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Colorado doesn't have much activity in the way of cloud to ground lightning activity compared to other parts of the country. However...if your primary goal is surge protection, then I'd advocate for a whole house unit first and then use what you want to elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with the Belkin, and for that matter Tripplite, APC, etc., so long as you realize their greatest utility is dealing with much more modest electrical anomalies and providing a convenient place for you to stick your equipment into. If, say, you had really bad issues with power fluctuations, then APC puts out a line that deals primarily with maintaining voltage at a level keel.
    You know as well as I do that as you go up any product lines food ladder, you get more features and capabilities. Whether you need them or not is a personal decision but I think you'll find that even Belkin's top of the line isn't stratospherically priced if you hunt around the web.

3. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

Chu...thanks for the prompt reply, but I was hoping for some specific opinions of the Pure AV unit that I mentioned. First of all, there are MANY cloud to ground lightning strikes in Colorado...Castle Rock, about 15-20 miles south of us has some of the highest frequency of strikes in the country! Secondly, we are currently renting a condo to see if we like this style of living (I recently retired and we sold our house) so I am not interested in spending money on a whole house system.

My goals are to protect my equipment and if it is possible to actually "clean" the power and improve the A/V capabilities of my equipment that's a plus. I do not know if our power supply even needs conditioning, but I figure it can't hurt...can it?? Is it possible that some of the surge/conditioners can actually make your equipment sound worse? I was also considering the Panamax 5100EX, but I'll pay over $100 more for it compared to the Pure AV...that's why I was looking for some advice on this subject.

Thanks...Jack

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I don't know where Littleton is, but you can look at the following map, which was developed by NASA to get a feel for what your actual exposure to lighting is. You'll see that the colors range from red to a kind of green. The colors relate to the ratio of IC:CG which mean Inter-Cloud:Cloud-Ground. Hence, if you're located in a red region, that means there'll be 10 lightning occurences that take place between the clouds, before one will hit the earth. Now if you've got a lot of lighting storms, like in central Florida, there'll be 2 lighting strikes to the ground for every one in the clouds.
    The average household lightning strikes is about one surge per eight years. This is about 2 strikes per square kilometer per year. Florida can be 3-5 times higher.
    Make sense?
    [c][​IMG] [/c]

I understand that you're renting, but if protection is your primary goal, then the whole house approach as your primary means is just so, so, so much more effective. You could make a call to your local power utility and they may actually install one for a nominal charge per month. By me, the charge is $10/month. Not all that bad. About the cost of a trip to Starbucks!

With respect to simply a standalone device, then you're better off shopping by joule rating since the joule rating determines the longevity of the unit. I wouldn't quibble though over 3000 vs. 3300 joules though. As far as conditioning goes, if you don't have a problem then all the conditioning in the world won't do squat. Like if you don't have a headache, what good is Tylenol? That aside, it's incredibly difficult to compare conditioning with respect to different brands. If they do provide some kind of indication like 40dB reduction @ 50 mHz, you still don't know how to compare that to a device that says 50dB @ 30 mHz. Generally though, if there is improvement to be had, your most likely going to see it in your TV. The most I can tell you is that Belkin is a pretty reputable outfit and their products are in general, constructed well.

5. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

Wow, I'm impressed and thanks for supporting my comments about the severe lightning in Colorado! As you can see, the dark blue area in CO are the Rocky Mtns where you would expect alot of C:G activity...we're in the dark green band just east of the mtns in the Denver metro area.

The Joule rating of the Belkin is actually about 50% higher than the Panamax 5100EX which would be a plus, but not sure how they stack up otherwise. Thanks for your comments.

Jack

6. Robert JW

Robert JW Auditioning

also check out Monster 3500 series if you want local semi-filtering.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You think those storms are bad? You ain't seen nothing till you've seen the ones in Africa! I don't know if I answered your question Jack. I like being able to give enough information so that you can make up your own mind and develop a reasonable set of priorities. However, you might find that even with renting, you could install a fairly competent whole house device (they're ridiculously small looking really) that handled just the incoming AC and cable for well under $100. Siemens which might be available at your local HD or Lowes is easily in that price range.