cht-15 vs. tempest?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Phoenix, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Agent

im new to this forum so i want to start off by saying hello to everyone! for the last few days ive been reading over all the posts regarding DIY subs. it seems that building a sub using tempests or shivas is the way to go. (there are some beautiful ones on this site BTW) my questions is, how would a properly designed and constructed sub, using one tempest(ported or sealed) with a 380w rythmik amp(open to suggestions for different amp), stack up vs. a 15" velodyne (or similar sub in this price range) here are the specs from the website:

CHT-15
    15" - Forward Firing Subwoofer
    (12.7" piston diameter)
    Frequency Response: 23-120 Hz +-3 dB
    High Pass Crossover (6 dB/octave slope):
    80Hz or 100Hz
    Low Pass Crossover (12 dB octave, 48 dB ultimate):
    40Hz-120Hz (adjustable)
    Auto On/Off
    Dynamic Power: 750 watts
    RMS Power: 300 watts
    Magnet: 70 oz.
    Voice Coil: 2 1/2" copper
    Inputs: Line-level and speaker-level
    Outputs: Line-level and speaker-level
    Crossover bypass: Subwoofer Direct
    Cone: Reinforced fiber
    Cabinet (H/W/D): 21" x 18.5" x 22.75"
    Weight: 83 lbs.
    Warranty: 2 years (parts & labor)
    Finish: Black vinyl

Are tempests THAT good? (overall quality and spl are important) i could build one for 400 bucks(can) and this sub costs about 1000. sorry for rambling on but should i take a chance, or just bite the bullet and buy a sub?

to make a long story short, will a tempest outperform a sub similar to the velodyne? thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Yes, a properly designed Tempest sub will outperform a CHT-15. A Tempest sub is on the same level as the HGS-15.

Though I would recommend coughing up an extra $55 and getting the Stryke AV15.

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Actually, a properly designed Shiva based sub will perform neck and neck with the HGS15 so a properly designed Tempest based sub will surpass it. FYI, the AV15's are not available at the current time.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Agent

please pardon my ignorance, its not that i dont believe you but if these subs are so good, then why are subwoofer companies still in business? the hgs-15 costs over 2 grand. yet a tempest or shiva sub would cost under 500. that pretty impressive wouldnt you say? and would the plans from adire be considered properly designed?

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

7. Kyle Richardson

These guys pretty much summed it up! Plus, Adire and other smaller companies that are similar arent paying for full page glossy ads in all of the major magazines so they dont have to increase costs to offset.
    You'd be surprised at the actual build cost of the drivers in most subwoofers on the market.
    To sum it up, yes, if you have the tools necessary, time, ambition, and skill to build it yourself you can build a comparable sub for much, much less. Of course DIY is not for everbody and that is perfectly fine.

Yes, the plans from Adire would be considered properly designed. [​IMG]

These figures are from Tom Nousaine who tested both of these subwoofers in the same room under the same circumstances. The Dharman is an Adire completed subwoofer based on the Shiva and their 250 watt amplifier and sells for $599 plus shipping.

Adire Audio Dharman – 107.9 / 20hz~96dB__25hz~102dB
    VELODYNE HGS15 - 107.7 / 16hz~89.1 25hz~102.1dB

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Agent

thanks a lot! that pretty much answers my question. DIY it is! time is money, but then again MONEY is money too so i think that this is by far the best way to go. i see what you mean as far as extra costs, advertising and shipping and such. ide rather be part of a niche market than just another mainstream clone though anyway. and now the age old question......ported or sealed? im sorry i have to ask. this may sound juvenile but i am looking for high spl and smooth response. (doesnt everybody?) if i go ported would i be able to get away with a smaller amp? and would it result in a much larger enclosure? (i have to carry it up a flight of stairs) i have read most of the threads regarding this but there are mixed opinions. the bottom line?

9. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

Your choice of going vented vs sealed will depend on what your needs are. How much will you use the sub for Music vs Home Theater ? How large is your room ? What types of music do you listen to ? The more information that you can provide will allow people to steer you in the right direction.

DIY subs are awesome and you will get a lot more bang for your buck!

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Agent

oh yeah thats rite i use my system 70 music/ 30 HT but i primarily want it for HT. i listen to rap and dance for the most part. my room is about 11x14 with a 12 foot ceiling (that tapers to a peak, its an attic bedroom also it is attached to another room of equal size) i listen to music loud and i like to test how securely the drywall downstairs it attached...

11. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Pheonix,
    I just built a sealed Tempest, Q of 0.7 and it is amazing. I use the Adire 250W amp and it has plenty of power. I have never heard a better sub in a store.

Considering that you are in Canada it may save you money by purchasing from a Canadian supplier. I know of Creativesound.ca and Solen.ca

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

13. Kyle Richardson

How do you know he's in Canada? If that's correct then CSS would be a good choice for a parts source.

You may also want to look at the Adire or SBB4 alignment for ported designs. Since you like rap and dance I'd think the SBB4 would be a better choice.

14. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Kyle,
    I knew because the CHT-15 is about $1000 here and when he said he could build a Tempest for "400 bucks(can)".

15. Kyle Richardson

Hehe, slap me and call me stupid:b

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Agent

ive noticed that all of the vented designs have the sub and the ports firing downward. does this cause all of the energy to be aimed at the floor? (what height for the legs is recommended?) and what is this poly fill? is it just a loose insulation type material? i think i will go with the SBB4 design.

17. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The legs are typically 4". Poly fill helps absorb the drivers back wave, which fools the driver into thinking its in a larger enclosure.

18. Kyle Richardson

Pillow stuffing or batting found at fabric stores.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Agent

do i just throw the stuff in or should i staple it to the walls? and will all of the bass be aimed directly at the floor? wouldnt this cause problems with plaster cracking downstairs?

20. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Pheonix,
    You can throw the stuffing in or staple it. I heard that it should be fluffed first though.

I'm guessing you have a wood floor ( not cement). Placing the sub on a cement air conditioning slab should help reduce the transmission of vibrations to the other room.