Chrysler sued for 20 mil????? Your thoughts on this and other ridiculous law suits.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eve T, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I was just reading in one of my magazines that Daimler Chrysler will contest a 20 million dollar lawsuit judgement against them awarded by a jury in New Jersey. Chrysler was found to be negligent in the death of Annette Boryszewski, who was killed when the wheel and tire assembly from (ANOTHER) vehicle came loose on the highway and struck her minivan, crushing the roof above the driver's seat. The other vehicle's tires were rotated one week earlier at a local gas station and police determined human error had caused the lug nuts to fall off.
    Isn't this like saying...if I were to go to a highway overpass and drop large rocks or other heavy objects onto the vehicles below causing their roofs to cave in or some other damage that resulted in a fatality that the victims car manufactuers would be to blame for my actions? [​IMG]
    Chrysler was the remaining defendant at trial after the driver of the other vehicle, the gas station owners, and Exxon Mobil all settled out of court.
    As this article I'm reading says: "this is the latest example of how the American legal system lets trial lawyers base liability on depth of corporation's pockets rather than the true degree of responsibility."
    I can think of other cases that equally as stupid, take the hot coffee lawsuit, or better yet I've even heard of cases where burglers have sued the home owners because they hurt themselves while robbing their home and felt the home owners were responsible for damages. And worse yet...some have even won these lawsuits. [​IMG]
    When is enough enough? I don't see anything getting better in years to come. What are your thoughts on lawsuits such as this? I'm sorry the lady died, but I call what happened to her a freak accident it wasn't Chryslers fault. Blame the idjits that didn't put the other vehicles tire on properly.[​IMG]

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Now wait a minute...is Chrysler named in the suit because of the tire or because of the roof collapsing because being hit by a tire because of some structural problem? If its because the tire falling off then maybe thats dumb but I can't say without reading the whole thing myself, but if its because of some structural problem that buckled because of a tire impact then sure there is a case.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, I have not read about the case in question. Link? Anyway, the McDonald's and hot coffee lawsuit was a fairly legitimate case. McDonald's, as company policy, kept their coffee way above OSHA standards. Someone here may actually have a link to the case hearings. Yes, the woman was stupid, but it should not have burned her as bad as it did.

C. Ryan

4. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

The injury was caused by a 50 pound tire propelled as if it was fired out of a cannon directly into the oncoming minivan. Sorry I had to clarify.

It was going at a very high rate of speed when it hit the van, no stuctual problem, just bad luck. Any object that heavy going at that rate of speed would cause that kind of damage to any car IMO unless you were driving a tank.

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Why stop there? I would have sued the tire manufacturer for making a deadly instrument. The contractors who built the highway this occured on surely are to blame as well, and the city, county, state and country this occured in were equally at fault. Sue 'em all!

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

It sure sounds ridiculous to me! I can't believe a jury would find any negligence on Chryslers part.
    I don't believe Vehicle Safety Standards include extra structural reinforcement to ensure the safety of passengers who accidentally have a high speed projectile fired at them.[​IMG]

9. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Sean, I agree. What's next...are we all going to have to drive around in bullet proof bubbles like the Pope to make sure nothing penetrates our cars causing us harm? (This was not meant as a religious statement)
    I'm glad Chrysler appealed.
    In referance to the post about how the old lady shouldn't have got burned that bad by the McDonalds coffee...maybe so but come on how much money was she awarded? (and for being stupid I might add) she put the coffee in between her legs while driving. Maybe I should sue McDonalds for a couple mil seeing that I spilled a coke once on myself while driving and darn if those icecubes didn't make me so cold. I think I suffered emotional damage from the chill alone [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As ridiculous as that sounds I bet I would win and that's the sad thing.
    Anyone else hear of some crazy lawsuits that won?

10. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I remember some woman suing Dunkin Donuts in New England about 2 years ago. She claimed the munchkins (donut holes) lookes too much like testicles and was offended by the sexual reference.

I have two points regarding this lawsuit: first, her husband must be hung like a horse. Second - they're FREAKIN' DONUTS!

I do not know if she won or not. Also, this may be an urban legend, but it is certainly plausible in this "don't mitigate...litigate!" culture we have forged.

11. Josh Matthews

I believe that the McDonald's verdict was significantly reduced. Also, that lady was really badly hurt.

What magazine was the Chrysler story in, I'd be curious to read it.

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mmm. I don't want to comment on your US law system. But here's a fact: if the coffee isn't hot enough in systems like that (I think 158 degrees Fahrenheit = 70 degrees Celsius being the actual minimum!), the chances for someone being infected with Veteran's Disease would become too serious.

And almost certainly a reason for a lawsuit somewhere, someplace...

Cees

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

16. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

No matter who wins the case, the lawyers will end up ahead.

17. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

19. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

20. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Joesph, the thing you said about how "the United Tech attorneys demolished the plaintiff's case in a day and a half" reminds me of a case that my wife was on the jury for (I am not a US citizen and so have not had jury dut). She said the plaintiff had presented the case for a few days, but then the defense came in and basically, as you say, demolished the whole case immediately. She didn't tell me anything about the case until it was over, but when she did it really angered me that this thing had taken up valuable time and wasted thousands of dollars, since it was SO obvious when all the facts were presented that the whole thing was just a way to try and get some money from a hopsital (they were accused of being responsible for the death of a doctor that as a patient came to the emergency room, LEFT by his own will and then died a week later at another hospital).

The best thing would be if the whole system with punitive damages was reworked, so that the damages would not be awarded to the plaintiff, but to someone else. Don't know who, don't know how to do it, but something needs to be done.

/mike