CHRONOS HD DVD impressions

Pete T C

Second Unit
CHRONOS HD DVD

The HD DVD's audio is great with 24bit/96khz DTS-HD 5.1 soundtrack, 24bit/48khz Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 soundtrack, and 24bit/48khz PCM stereo soundtrack. Personally I would have canned the DTS-HD and PCM soundtracks and instead offered lossless Dolby TrueHD5.1 24bit/48khz, but I can't complain as the audio is excellent

Video is MPEG2 but surprisingly sharp, likely due to the short 40 minute runtime of the film allowing for ample breathing room. I got up nice and close to the TV and did not detect any significant compression artifacting at 1080i. Colors are beautiful in this release! It may have been even better in VC-1, but with this type of flick I really can't complain either here.

This HD DVD completely destroys the prior standard DVD version I had. It literally is like the difference between VHS and DVD. I believe this is both due to superior mastering and superior encoding technologies.

Finally, interactivity makes the film even more cool on HD DVD. Don't forget to play around with the Locations and Annotations menu options while the film is running; they allow you to toggle locational information where each shot was taken as well as detailed information about the location and things being shown in the film, all in popup windows you can turn on/off at will.

Overall, for this type of film OUTSTANDING effort to the people who made the HD DVD. Often these type of movies get crap treatment but Chronos on HD DVD had some TLC put into it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for fans of nature/landscape movies - or plain anyone who would like to see some gorgeous forces of nature put to Vangelis-style music! IMO, this is one of those films you should see at least once in your life - and what better way to do so than on HD DVD?!

http://www.amazon.com/Chronos-HD-DVD...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

MarekM

Supporting Actor
ordered long time ago........ shipped 3days ago......

hmm Pete T C

"superior encoding technologies" = MPEG2 ?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
SET = 1080p

Thanks for the review, Pete. Audio sounds (get it?) excellent!
Is this title 4:3?
How the print, pristine?
Thanks, again.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'll probably get slapped around for this...but what is Chronos? Sounds like some kind of infection

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Would it be "fair" to compare the audio tracks from a single title on the two waring formats (certainly, better than comparing two differant titles! ;-) ), using two different players? Would/will HDMI audio output "always" sound exactly the same?
If it does, that would be cool, cause it would eliminate the need for highend (re: expensive) audio playback devices!
Thanks.

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin
I definitely like the scenery from all over the world. However, once they started fast-forwarding stuff I didn't like it much - Just viewed once and thinking of selling it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan