What's new

Chrono Trigger SNES vs PS1? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I really regret this, I sold my SNES game about 6 years ago.
Love to pick this game up again.
Have seen the SNES version go for $100+ on eBay.
I have seen a PS1 reissue (that includes FF) for apprx $30 or less.
Is the PS1 version inferior or basicly the same in terms of graphics, sound, and game play?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The PSone version has the added cutscenes in it, but I couldnt bear to play it because it just isnt the same with minor load times and without an SNES controller in my hands:) yes I am anal when it comes to reliving good memories.

I read somewhere that there were other odd changes with the PSone version as well, but I dont know for certain. You can actually get the PSone version for 20 or less just about anywhere as it is a greatest hit title now. But if you want the true nostalgia experience, I would spring for the SNES cartridge. Just a different feeling, knowing you are playing the original version of it, not a reissue.

Also try to get Final Fantasy III(or VI on PSone) as well. That is my favorite RPG of all time. Just slightly ahead of Chrono Trigger mainly because of the story. The darkest FF game ever made.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Most everything is identical in terms of gameplay besides some additional FMV sequences. The main problem with the PS1 version of the game is it's need to load *EVERY* time you go into your character menu options. Considering it's something you need to do quite frequently, it can be extremely irritating.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Why the hell would they do that on a game that probably takes up one quarter of the CD it is on?:rolleyes

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
because there isnt enough ram on a PSone to have the entire game on ram, so it has to load from somwhere. The load times from what I remember are not insane, but enough that old school fans will cringe.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the load times are pretty awful on the ps1 version. I actually finished the game with them, but it was pretty painful at the beginning. After a while though, you just stop paying attention to them, and get on with enjoying the game. There is actually an "extras" menu, that lets you view things like endings that you've beaten on the Ps1 version.

Let's put it this way-the load times are bad, but not $80 bad. In other words-get the playstation version.

Joel C

Screenwriter
This is one of maybe 5 RPGs I actually finished, and I remember really liking it (except for the part about alternate endings, that always bugs me). I'd play it again for $20, but not $80.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I did notice the load times, and they were unfortunate, but the Akira Toriyama (did original Chrono Trigger artwork, and is responsible for anime like DragonBall) animated scenes were worth it to me to play it through. I still have the cart, and I think I still like the cart better. Same goes for all the Final Fantasy games (VI and prior)

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
At first, the load times are pretty annoying but eventually you get used to them and then you never give it a 2nd thought. The time needed for loading is almost similar to say FFVII or FFVIII in terms of battles and menus so it isn't really that bad. Until you get to the end where you're fighting the outer-lavos shell, the slow-down makes me want to pull out my hair! http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/banghead.gif

The added cut-scenes are great, and there are a bunch of other extras. There's a soundtrack option and you can hear a couple of tracks that weren't used in the game which is a shame because they sound good! Also, they put in animated endings which tie into the sequel, Chrono Cross.

You know, I wonder if Square plans on doing a 3rd Chrono game?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Oh, I have the PS1 anthology, to be honest I didn't notice any extreme menu load time on those games so I suppose that it really isn't as bad as all that on CT. I must get this.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I've played most of the anthology releases, and CT is by far the worst. You'll notice it when you try to pull up the menu for the first time...

No idea on a third Chrono came, but given the lackluster Chrono cross, I don't really care if they release one. I really really tried to like that game, but there were just way too many undeveloped characters to make things interesting.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Tip:

If you are playing Chrono Trigger on a PS2 go into the PS1 menu options and turn the disc speed up. Helps a bit on the loading times.

Users who are viewing this thread