What's new

Chrono Cross-did it ever get to be any good? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just saw the Ps1 thread and it got me thinking about the Ps1 games that I never got around to finishing. I'd actually gone back and given Chrono Cross another shot about three weeks ago and found it to be jst agonizing to try to play. I got about 6 hours in...just waiting for it to get good, and couldn't keep going. The story hinted at maybe getting interesting, but between the boring combat, cookie-cutter characters, and boring magic/advancement system there was just too much bad stuff to slog through to really motivate me to see what happens. Does this game actually get to be good?

I don't know-maybe I've just gotten used to a deeper RPG experience with games like KOTOR, DW 7, and the first 10 FF games, but both Chrono Cross and Xenogears were just impossible for me to get through.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I thought it sucked the whole way through. A huge fan of Chrono Trigger can probably get into it for the plot, but the bad gameplay and characters turned me off. It has a lot of endings, but they suffer from Star Ocean Syndrome in that they aren't very good. This is coming from someone who adores Xenogears BTW.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it. Oh, and I'm ignoring all your comparisons and the like.

Maybe you just didn't like it. It happens.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely loved it. And to this day it is my wifes favorite RPG, FF 10 being a close second. Not sure if I would say it gets any better over the duration of the game, but there are some cool twists towards the end. Hopefully you will stick with it, it is worth it in the end.

Also speaking of Xenogears, that is what we are playing through right now. I have owned it for years now, and could never get past the 6 - 8 hr mark. Payed it to that point 3 or 4 times, and just got bored and dropped it. But we just started to play again this past month and are sitting about 25hrs in, now I am kicking myself I didn't play it sooner.

So many RPG, so little time. Have a deal with my wife that we have to make it through Xenogears and Xenosaga before we crack open FF X-2. Sigh, only another 175 hours of gaming to go. :D

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
FF VIII was great. I remember playing the damn card game (cant remember the name) for endless hours just to get every single card. Personally I think there have been much better games in the FF series then VIII, but it definately not the worst.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed Chrono Cross as well. I found the combat system to be much better then any of the Final Fantasy games lately (7-10). I'm not sure how you can view the combat system as simpler?

Chrono Cross had an amusing story, decent characters, good graphics, etc. Its biggest win over the FF games was no random battles.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed CC, it also had a lot of replayablity with the different characters... not to mention doing everything in that game wasn't/isn't at all easy :)

Alanna

Second Unit
I really liked CC but as with most RPGs, I never completed it. As always ended up buying another time consuming monster and abandoned CC for the shiny new title. One of these days I will get back to it... after I finish KOTOR, Xenosaga, FFX, FFX-2, Okage: Shadow King and all the other bloody RPGs on next gen consoles that I paid good cash for but never finished. I had even promised myself "NO FFX-2 until KOTOR is done" but... that went out the door.

Oh and here's another vote for FF8! The main character was not really likeable enough but the game sure was. I loved the combat system and the game in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks