What's new

Chronicles of Narnia (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I don't give a damn about what Tolkien thought about allegory, except where such things pertain to understanding Tolkien's point of view of his own work. What he thought about the Chronicles of Narnia has about as much weight with me as Stephen King's opinion of Lord of the Rings. Who cares? Tolkien could have said they were pure excrement. Doesn't make him right in my own appreciation of the books. I think for myself.

Tolkien also went on record in 1935, I think, blasting Walt Disney's work - this after Sergei Eisenstein identified Walt Disney as one of the "Three Geniuses" of filmmaking. I could care less about Tolkien's opinion of Disney, just as I could care less about Tolkien's opinion of C. S. Lewis. In my opinion, Lewis' Narnia books were wonderful, and Disney's Silly Symphonies were wonderful. Tolkien didn't like them? So what?

And someone needs to explain to me why - if Tolkien had such a disdain for allegory - several people are seen on the 3rd disc of the Two Towers: Extended Edition explaining all the allegories in Tolkien's book, like the dead marshes being an extrapolation of his experience seeing dead British soldiers in water-filled bomb craters. Someone needs to get their stories straight.

C. S. Lewis's books were just as amazing to me in my youth as Tolkien's Hobbit, and I can't wait for *quality* film adaptations of the same.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

You have to remember that Tolkien was a literary professor, and by everything I have seen written about him, very meticulous. (IMO) He is the kind of professor that would have given you an 'F' on a thesis for a couple of minor grammatical slips, even if the subject and exposition were brilliant. It's not surprising he wouldn't like works that weren't up to 'his' standards.

Of course, those qualities also allowed him to create the stories and the extremely well-developed world that he did.

I also agree with John. I have seen any number of statements made by Tolkien where he almost gets irritated by the fact that people kept insisting that tLoTR was allegorical to his experiences in the war. He vehemently insisted that was not the case. If people want to see the allegories there... well no one can stop that.

RG

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Swinton is a great choice for the witch. She definitely has the icy beauty thing going. I think I like the idea of her playing the part better than Kidman.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I just arbitrarily chose this Narnia thread to resurrect to post this info. Not sure if it was the most appropriate or not, I apologize if it wasn't. Anyway, here's a link to some art for the film at some licensing show:

http://www.narniafans.com/index.php?..._from=&ucat=1&

And here's some more news posted in another forum, not sure what it's original source is though:

I'm a little dissapointed that WETA isn't doing the actual effects work, but I guess they'll have alot on their plate with Kong now aiming for the same release date, and WETA doing work on that Evangeleon (sp?) movie as well.

Apparently Dawn French is the voice of Mrs. Beaver as well - whoever that is :) I haven't read any of these books in so long, I need to pick them up again.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I just arbitrarily chose this Narnia thread to resurrect to post this info. Not sure if it was the most appropriate or not, I apologize if it wasn't. Anyway, here's a link to some art for the film at some licensing show:

http://www.narniafans.com/index.php?..._from=&ucat=1&

And here's some more news posted in another forum, not sure what it's original source is though:

I'm a little dissapointed that WETA isn't doing the actual effects work, but I guess they'll have alot on their plate with Kong now aiming for the same release date, and WETA doing work on that Evangeleon (sp?) movie as well.

Apparently Dawn French is the voice of Mrs. Beaver as well - whoever that is :) I haven't read any of these books in so long, I need to pick them up again.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Like Narnia, they were only contracted to do the initial designs. Until there is actual movement to make the film, there are no guarantees that they will be working on it.

I assume WETA will have their hands full with King Kong, tho...

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Like Narnia, they were only contracted to do the initial designs. Until there is actual movement to make the film, there are no guarantees that they will be working on it.

I assume WETA will have their hands full with King Kong, tho...

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks