What's new

Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - quick review (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Looking good for 300 mill worldwide which hopefully will mean The Silver Chair gets made I for one would love them to get to The Horse and his Boy - my favourite of the series

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Simon Massey

Looking good for 300 mill worldwide which hopefully will mean The Silver Chair gets made

I for one would love them to get to The Horse and his Boy - my favourite of the series

The Horse and His Boy is possibly my favorite book of all time. I've read it at least 15 times. I've gotten older and read way more complex and nuanced novels, but I have yet to find one that connected to me as much as that book does.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
 Worldwide:  $297,162,155   I think it has a good chance of making it to $350M worldwide. Looking good for a sequel. :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Aaaah they fooled us all - looks like they are moving ahead with a PREQUEL!! :) The Magician's Nephew

This is a surprise as I expected them to use The Silver Chair next. The actor who played Eustace was spot on and by the time they get round to filming The Silver Chair if the next one is successful, I expect they will have to recast the role.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30491

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic, and likely neccesary because Tilda isn't getting any younger. I love her but the less cgi they have to do on her to make her look younger, the better, since that sort of de-aging is distracting.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Will_B

Fantastic, and likely neccesary because Tilda isn't getting any younger.
Uh, and Will Poulter is? Don't forget that Silver Chair is supposed to take place shortly after Dawn Treader. Five years from now when they may get around to doing it, the kid is gonna look older, and far more signficantly so than Tilda Swinton.

Yeah, they could always age the character more than in the book, but I'm getting pretty sick of that from this movie series. The Narnia chronicles are supposed to be about kids going on magical adventures, not "eye candy for teenage girls" twenty-somethings.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree. The Final Battle, you can get away with the characters as adults. The Silver Chair is the last one the really needs to maintain continuity with the earlier casting.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Come on, Tilda's only 50! And hardly looks it, too. Between her looks and the Jadis makeup, I doubt her age would be a factor.

I love The Magician's Nephew, but it seems like a bad decision not to go ahead with The Silver Chair, which would bring Caspian's arc to a close.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And may she be as forever young as Bowie (or as Bowie was until his health problem)! But I don't know if the White Witch is supposed to be 50. If she's a witch I suppose she could make herself look any age she wants to look.

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
Is anyone else really falbergasted they're skipping The Silver Chair & going to The Magician's Newphew? I don't get it & I think that the general public is gonna be like "wtf?". They'll be expecting a sequel and will get a prequel. Then which one will they do after that? Back to The Silver Chair? Then again, the general public is gonna be like "wtf?". I don't get this at all.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JayMacey

Is anyone else really falbergasted they're skipping The Silver Chair & going to The Magician's Newphew?

Not as flabbergasted as I am to see that the Dawn Treader Blu-Ray and DVD is not OAR.

2.35:1 pic taken from trailer:

Pic from BD:

What the hell, Fox?! It's 2011. No one wants pan-&-scan anymore, least of all people who buy their films on Blu-Ray.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
think its time to start calling fox they have the number on the back of there blu rays and ask why this is not OAR

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Arild

Not as flabbergasted as I am to see that the Dawn Treader Blu-Ray and DVD is not OAR.

2.35:1 pic taken from trailer:

Pic from BD:

What the hell, Fox?! It's 2011. No one wants pan-&-scan anymore, least of all people who buy their films on Blu-Ray.

This isn't pan-and scan per se. There is obviously some opening up of the image top and bottom and slight cropping on the sides. Those of you who have seen the film will know better than I, but here is my question: what was the aspect ratio for the 3D version? I'm wondering if we're wandering into Avatar-type territory here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It was 2.35:1 in the 3D cinema I saw it in and this is different from Avatar as James Cameron stated that there was no side-cropping of the 1.78:1 version of that film. Voyage of the Dawn Treader clearly does have side-cropping.

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

This isn't pan-and scan per se. There is obviously some opening up of the image top and bottom and slight cropping on the sides. Those of you who have seen the film will know better than I, but here is my question: what was the aspect ratio for the 3D version? I'm wondering if we're wandering into Avatar-type territory here.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The big question is what Apted approves. He may very well want the home video release to be 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical 2.35:1. It wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'd be very surprised if this aspect ratio was his wish. It's more likely his concession. But even so, if he wanted the picture to be seen in 1.78:1, then why create it in 2.35:1 theatrically?

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

The big question is what Apted approves. He may very well want the home video release to be 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical 2.35:1. It wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Those of you who have seen the film will know better than I, but here is my question: what was the aspect ratio for the 3D version? I'm wondering if we're wandering into Avatar-type territory here.

2.35.:1 for the 3D version as well.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JayMacey

Is anyone else really falbergasted they're skipping The Silver Chair & going to The Magician's Newphew? I don't get it & I think that the general public is gonna be like "wtf?". They'll be expecting a sequel and will get a prequel. Then which one will they do after that? Back to The Silver Chair? Then again, the general public is gonna be like "wtf?".

I don't get this at all.

Not to derail the thread, but it's a weird decision.

I'm guessing they think they stand to gain from going back to The White Witch, tugging on people's familiarity with the character and potentially drawing more people in. The Silver Chair is going to be a bit more effects heavy too I suspect, they might be trying to pull in a bigger audience with familiarity then try to capture a better budget.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Seems to be the exact same deal as Avatar re: VODT aspect ratio. Review states no side cropping only additional information on the top and bottom.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Chronicles-of-Narnia-The-Voyage-of-the-Dawn-Treader-Blu-ray/19648/#Review

-----------

In regards to doing The Magician's Nephew next, I can see several reasons:

1. Jadis/White Witch

2. Since it's now the first book in the series (since all sets are now chronological by story time period) their claim of higher readership and interest may be valid.

3. It ties in nicely with LWW.

4. Doing TMN first, then if possible they can do The Silver Chair and The Last Battle back-to-back. This would allow them to re-establish Eustace and introduce Jill as the protagonists and then keep them for two straight movies. Then, if we're at all lucky, they'll wrap it all up with The Horse and His Boy, which by then could use the original Pevensie actors as their older selves for their small roles. From a film standpoint THAHB works best as an "additional forgotten tale of Narnia" told in retrospect.

Here's hoping for the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks