Chronic Hiccups!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm serious! It's now 4:30 in the morning. I've had the hiccups off and on since about 3PM. It's freaky!
    Does anyone know what causes the hiccups to hang around for 13 hours?
    And does anyone know any effective ways of curing this annoying malady?
    Th--hic---anks!

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

The only thing that works for me is holding my breath. I usually hold it until I can't hold it any longer, then I take a deep breath and hold it again. Repeat until hiccups are gone.

Good luck.

Jon

3. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Try this one..... take a glass of water, throw a straw in it, then drink from the straw while plugging your ears. Yes, you look goofy but yes, it works.

However, chronic hiccups can also be signs of a more serious issue.

4. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

did it work Scott?

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Scott, if you are hiccupping for that long, I'd go see a doctor.

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Just picture Gailard Sartain naked. Your throat should constrict to the point that hiccups are an impossibility.

*Suggestor not responsible for bouts of nausea or depression

7. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I am 6ft 2in tall 320lbs lots of tatoos naked covered head to toe in vaseline and I save my urine.
    Feel better?[​IMG]

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    This not only always works for me..but EVERYONE I have taught it to.

Works best with someone with you..but you can do this on your own. Tell yourself or who is with you the EXACT moment you are about to hiccup again. As if trying to predict it the INSTANT it is going to happen. 99 times out of a 100...this works. However...for as long as you have been doing this..I would see a doctor.

9. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

psst....want to know a secret?

hiccups are just in your head.

seriously, ever wonder why different "miracle cures" work for different people. It's because they believe it's going to work on them. As long as you keep your mind occupied on the hiccups they will go away. Usually i'll just repeat the word hiccup to myself for about 30seconds after the first one comes out and they'll be gone.

I can't remember hiccuping more than twice since doing that

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've got a slight variation on tony's:

1. take a glass. fill it with water
    2. (this may be hard to describe) - take the glass, hold it with your middle and ring fingers of each hand.
    3. while attempting to drink from the glass, use your thumbs and plug your ears.
    4. drink away...you don't have to drink a lot. for me, just a gulp or two does the trick[/list=1]

my friend showed me this once. i thought she was crazy...until i tried it for myself. since then it's worked every time for me.

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

One thing to try would be eating a spoonful of sugar. Dont just swallow the sugar but stick it in your mouth on your toungue then swallow. Almost a guaranteed fix [​IMG] Seriously
    KyleS

12. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Get 2-100 watt bulbs and screw them into a lamp/whatever and leave 'em on for 2-3 hours. Take 'em out and insert them into your eye sockets. It kicks those hiccups' ass every time. [​IMG]

13. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

this ALWAYS works for me and everyone who has tried it...
    it takes two people, so find a friend or family member
    • get a glass of water, about 6-10 oz. will do
    • the person with the hiccups simply puts their hands in the air (like a TOUCHDOWN signal in football)
    • the other person holds the glass while the hiccup infested person drinks from the cup...
    • you have to finish the whole glass of water
    • the helper is allowed to pour as fast as you can drink - without spilling - and laughing is allowed, i think it actually helps the process [​IMG]
    honestly, it works everytime...!
    good luck! and Happy New Year!

14. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    My remedy is silly, so I'm lothe to repeat it here, but it works. (and no, it hasn't already been mentioned)

15. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

This has worked for me EVERY time:

Take a glass of water and tilt your head so you are arched over a sink. Take the glass of water and start drinking it(with your head almost upside down) over the sink so that the water, instead of first hitting your tongue is actually initially making contact with the roof of your mouth so that the water runs down the exact opposite side of your throat. Sorry if I'm not describing it well, but it definitely works. Good luck

16. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

Scooter was the closest to the ACTUAL remedy. Here are the facts:

Hiccups are digestive aides. A hiccup occurs in order to aide in the digestion of food as it is actually your diaphragm contracting at odd intervals in order to help crush the food in your body that you didn't chew well enough when you ate it. Other things cause this to happen, but typically it is to aide in digestion.

The trick is that a hiccup is caused by an electrical pulse sent by the part of your brain that also is used for concentrating. If you are concentrating on the hiccup it may never go away. When you begin to concentrate on something else the pulses are interupted and your hiccups go away. The more you worry about your hiccups, the longer they'll will stay.

When I come across someone who has them I begin by asking them a series of questions that stimulte their thoughts and concentration. Here is an example:

When is the last time you saw a bunny rabbit?

What color was he?

Where did you see him and what time of day was it?

Was his tail a different color?

And on and on...

The last question I usually ask is, "Do you still have your hiccups?" This triggers a deeper concentration and usually provokes them to wait for the next one that never comes. This actually assists in supressing the hiccups because it interupts the electrical pulses that power them.

Of couse this won't work on you now that you know how it works. Read a book or take a test. Distract yourself...

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I saw on the X Show a few years ago that a remedy for hiccups was to rub an ice cube on your throat. I haven't gotten the hiccups in a while, so I never really tested this out.

They also said to put toothpaste on a mosquito bite because it disinfects and soothes.

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Sit cross-legged, than lift one leg behind your head, than the other, and than move about the room on your hands, than after a while stop and just swing your body to and fro while in this position, it feels great don't it? Like a chimpanzee. This also works as an interesting new lovemaking position, which I don't think is in the Kama Sutra, so I've just discovered a new position, woohoo!![​IMG]
    As for curing your hiccups Scott, the best way for me is holding my breath, or drinking a glass of water might do, good luck![​IMG]

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

one sure-fire way (similar to the ear thing..) is to take a deep breath, hold it, and plug your nose while slowly sipping a glass of water until you can't anymore. The sensation of drowning is supposed to help..

20. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

That's for sissys! Just tie yourself to a few cinder blocks and toss them over your nearest bridge. The sensation of drowning is much more realistic and I guarantee you the hiccups will go away! [​IMG]