Chroma Up-sampling Error

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_b, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Rob_b

Rob_b Agent

I am/was/? interested in the Denon DVD-3800.

Over on the avsforum is was confirmed that both the DVD-3800 and the DVD-9000 will ship with a mild case of ‘Chroma Up-sampling Error'.

I have never seen this error in person. Does anyone have screen shots? How bad is the Chroma bug? Would I notice it if I didn't know what I was looking for?

Thanks

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

3. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

WHAT?? It was my understanding that Denon had finally whipped the chroma bug in their players- they at least at one time were advertising no chroma bug on their new players.

DVD-9000- $3500 for a player with as major a flaw as the chroma bug?????? I think not...

to me then, the choice player from Denon, especially price wise, is the new DVD-1600. No chroma bug, DVD-audio, and Sage deinterlacing.

Andrew B.

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

This is not good news. How could Denon allow these two players to be released with this error at those price points? Aren't newer generation sub 500.00 players now eliminating the problem? I don't mean to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, but I just feel that Denon should've cured this problem, espeically at the ridiculously high price-points the 3800/9000 will be at.

Reg

5. John Kotches

Check out the DV-9000 manual on-line at Denon's website, and look at page 16 of the PDF file for some interesting tidbits on DenonLink.

Regards,

6. Rob_b

Rob_b Agent

John,

Is Secrets planning on reviewing the Denon DVD-9000 and DVD-3800? Your opinion on the "mild case of ‘Chroma Up-sampling Error'" would be great!!

Thanks

Rob

7. John Kotches

Rob,
    I don't know about the 3800. The 9000 is already in someone's hands who has a halfway respected opinion on video issues (in other words, it ain't me!).
    I'm somewhat disappionted that this occurred, but it makes my life a little more interesting I suppose, since I can now look at a 3800 as a DVD-A only box [​IMG]
    Now I'm thinking Philips 962SA for DVD-V and SACD and the 3800 for DVD-A....
    Regards,