Chroma Bug / Toshiba SD4700 / Huh?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

When looking at the good reviews on the Toshiba SD4700... I noticed a few people mentioned somthing called Chroma Bug... Huh? Is that a problem? Should I be worried about that?

Thanks,

Bill

2. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Sorry if this has been brought up...

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I've got the 4700. Does it have the Chroma bug? Yes, is it horribly noticable? No. It's an excellent player and continues to produce an image that makes my TV look as good as I thought it could when I bought it two years ago. I bought the Tosh 6200 a year ago and it didn't look any different than my then current DVD player (proscan 8680Z). The 4700 is a MAJOR improvement - so much so my wife was even extremely impressed by the great picture.

5. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Yes. I have the 3750 which does has a very slight case of the chroma bug. I've also seen the Denon 2800, which has an extreme case of the chroma bug - worse than even the Toshiba 5109.

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Does anyone know how the images with the toy story logo were created? If you remove the luma you'd have an all black image... no?

I have the 4700 and this problem is not one that has bothered me. There are two others that I don't like, but this isn't an issue, expecially since the flicker problem is almost gone.

7. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Hello,

This player will probably be on MY Christmas list this year. I only have one thing holding me back.

I have not heard if those pesky disks like The Emperor's New Groove and Dinosaurs play through error free. Can anybody confirm this for me?

Thanks!!

C

8. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Chris, I can try, I can tell you the problematic POTA disc 1 worked fine.

9. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

I've tested a few of the dvds that the toshiba's have had trouble with in the past. So far I've tested the following with no problems:
    Ladyhawke (main menu)
    The Godfather Trilogy extras disc
    So far the player has been great and is highly recommended...

10. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

What is the problem with the POTA disk?? The Tim Burton one? I have it, but haven't watched it yet on my 2108.

I have hundreds of disks (unfortunatley, not Ladyhawke and the Godfather yet) and the only ones that have given me any trouble is TENG:Ultimate Groove and the new Holy Grail.

My son is CRAZY about TENG so buying another player that won't play it is out of the question.

Thanks again,

C

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Chris, I'm not sure what the POTA problem is. I just know there are problems with some players. The defect causes some players to pixelate and freeze. Some older Tosh players had this problem. Just tested the 4700 to be sure it worked fine.

12. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I bought a 4700 at BB last weekend ($199 for one that the box was open, but the player still factory wrapped and unused!). I've played only few movies, but the picture is great and an improvement over my son's Zenith and my old Tosh SD3006. I'm happy