Chroma bug in Dish Network reception?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Paul W, May 10, 2005.

1. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I have recently noticed what appears to be an annoying image artifact while watching several channels on Dish Network.

When panning rapidly, colors tend to lag behind the luminence portion of the video signal.

I am watching non-HD channels upconverted to 1080i with the 6000 receiver on a Mits DLP RPTV. Unfortunately, when I set the 6000 receiver to 720p mode, the picture is extremely off center, so I have the 6000 in 1080i mode and it gets downsampled to 720p by the Mits.

Anyway, here is an example of this artifact: say a person wearing a red shirt pans rapidly across the screen. The luminence (b/w) portion of the image will move smoothly across the screen so the black and white shirt will have a smooth motion.
    The color potion of the image appears to lag behind and move in a stuttering motion. So in effect, a disembodied red shirt will move stuttering behind the black and white shirt (catching up and falling behind repeated) and will settle in the correct alignment as soon as the person has stopped panning.

What kind of artitact is this. Has dish changed their compression routines recently to save space? If so, this is very annoying. I don't notice this on the HD channels.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Paul

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

OK, I don't know what the artifact is that you are seeing, but I am pretty sure the Dish Network does not have the "chroma bug" that we are all familiar with.

When I had Comcast Cable, it had the chroma bug big time. I do not see it with the Dish.

But, I am std def. Maybe it's the upscaling that's creating the problem for you. ?

You could try the Dish's customer service, but I think I know how successful that would be... [​IMG]

3. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I'd have to go with Kevin on this one. The Dish Network doesn't have the artifacts (not CUE) but your particular HD satellite receiver can produce them.

I have a long-in-the-tooth Zenith DTV1080 that also has trouble with large areas/whole screen fulls of red and red transitions and I'm pretty sure it isn't DirecTV's fault.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Paul's eyes are not deceiving him.
    I have seen it for years. Reds will flicker and fall behind in motion scenes.
    Dish claims this is due to watching SDTV over component and it will fix itself over S-video.
    It is a little true, but S-video does not fix it completely.
    This flickering is very apparent on larger RPTV's.
    I do not believe this is "chroma bug" based.
    I think it has a lot to do w/ their compression and the Dish hardware.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Could be. I still use the yellow composite video connection. I'll have to watch reds with motion now. [​IMG]

6. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Never really sure what the chroma bug was, but I'm glad to see other people can see it.