What's new

Christopher Nolan's next flick "Inception"... (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...298c38dea49c30

Christopher Nolan inks 'Inception'
Sets up original screenplay at Warner Bros.
By Jay A. Fernandez

Christopher Nolan has set up his next project with Warner Bros., an original screenplay he wrote called "Inception." The "Dark Knight" director hopes to shoot the sci-fi action film in the summer for a release during summer 2010.

Nolan will produce with partner Emma Thomas, who served as a producer on "The Dark Knight."

"Chris Nolan is a visionary filmmaker who continually raises the bar with each movie he makes," Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov said. "We are thrilled to be collaborating again with him and Emma on this exciting new motion picture."

Given the billion-dollar bonanza Nolan delivered with "Knight," one would suppose a treatment based on some poems he wrote in his fifth-grade journal would have gotten the green light. The writer-director-producer has done well by the studio, with "Insomnia," "Batman Begins" and "The Prestige" bringing in close to half a billion in additional theatrical revenue.

"Inception" is described as "a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind."

This pushes back any potential filming on a new Batman film, but three years -- and "The Prestige" -- passed between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight." Nolan has also long been attached to direct a big-screen adaptation of the British TV series "The Prisoner" for producer Scott Stuber at Universal.

The CAA-repped Nolan wrote the screenplays for "Memento," based on a short story written by his brother, Jonathan, and "Following," his debut feature in 1998. The only directing project he hasn't written is "Insomnia," his 2002 remake of the Norwegian thriller.

He and Jonathan (with story credit) earned Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for their "Memento" script, which won an Independent Spirit Award for best screenplay and the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at Sundance in 2001. Their "Dark Knight" screenplay earned a WGA Award nomination this year for best adapted screenplay (with David S. Goyer).

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Despite having his big screen adaptation of "The Prisoner" set up at Universal, WB apparently made him an extremely sweet deal to stay with them for (at least) his next two movies. The second obviously being Nolan's third Batman adventure.

Casting for "Inception" is said to already be underway.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
I've at least "liked" every film he's made so this will definetly be a must see for me. It's good that he's takeing a break from the Batman series to try something new. Much like he did with 'The Prestige".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Definitely one of the top directors in the biz at the moment. I'll be in line for his next one.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Leo DiCaprio to star in 'Inception' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Leo DiCaprio to star in 'Inception'
Christopher Nolan to direct sci-fi film for WB
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Leonardo DiCaprio will star in "Inception," the science-fiction film that Christopher Nolan ("The Dark Knight") wrote and will direct as his next pic at Warner Bros.

The project shoots this year and is slated to be released in summer 2010, with Nolan and Emma Thomas producing. DiCaprio's deal is in final negotiations.

Script has been kept under wraps but the studio calls it a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind.

DiCaprio, coming off "Revolutionary Road" and "Body of Lies," will next be seen starring in the Martin Scorsese-directed "Shutter Island" at Paramount.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, my enthusiasm just got knocked down a notch, now that the film has been Leo-ized.

Charles Knox

Agent
Real Name
jake

That one notch -2 more. With his baby face looks, I have never been able to take Leo serious as an actor.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Interesting. I consider DiCaprio one of the very best actors of this generation. Some A-list directors also seem to think working with him is worthwhile. Scorcese, Spielberg, Ridley Scott.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. He got "Titanic'd" with regards to stereotyping based on the backlash associated with that blockbuster, and look how long it took Winslet (another great actor) to get critical and popular acclaim since that movie. He had a couple of clunkers after Titanic (probably as a Hollywood result of that backlash) but pretty much starting with The Beach (yes I did like that movie) he's been very much more "hit" than "miss". In the recent roles I've seen DiCaprio, I've been more than impressed with his ability.

And yes, if Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Edward Zwick, Sam Mendes, and Chris Nolan think he's suitable for their films, I'm not going to second guess them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What do those hacks know?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I look forward eagerly to a sci-fi thriller that takes place "in the architecture of the mind" by Christopher Nolan. At a time when most studio films vary from poorly written to illiterate, Nolan is first and foremost a brilliant storyteller, one of the best writers, and a fine director. I welcome any story he wants to tell apart from superheroes. I'm also glad to hear he's casting Leonardo DiCaprio as I'm a little burned out on the diffident and inexpressive Christian Bale.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Teaser trailer is up:
http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/15201209/standardformat/

This will be interesting. :)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Stars a bunch of actors I like and directed by Nolan....teaser looks interesting....I'm officially intrigued!!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy crap. They showed a 2minute trailer as a sponsor during the premiere of "Rescue Me". This had a very "Dark City" kind of vibe to it. What they showed looked.. awesome. I had barely heard of this, but that was one of the best trailers I've seen for anything this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks