1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk - July 2017 (Shot in 70mm)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Wayne_j, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ya know Josh I've been mulling it over. I thought it was spectacular for the most part. However tell me if you encountered this. I sat in seat H22. Pretty close to dead center.

And I could swear the top and bottom of the 1:44 image was slightly darker that the rest of the image. I felt as though if I were a few rows up it might have been better and brighter. Did you notice anything like this?

Regardless, it was still a tremendous presentation and definitely worth the trip in. Love the new seats and screen. It's a bargain. I want to see every movie like that.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was a bit lower and to the side - all that was left for opening night. I couldn't really see the extreme tops and bottoms from there but am hoping to see it again. What you're describing could be something from projection but it could also be just the natural characteristics of the lens used to shoot the film.

I read that the print itself was made directly from the camera negative, which is rare and cool.

Tino likes this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    It was very slight and not enough to ruin the presentation. And like you said it may have been a result of the filming process. If you see it again there i'd be curious to hear if you encounter it.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Those are the same people who didn't understand how Vincent Vega could be in the third act of "Pulp Fiction" when he died in the 2nd act! :lol:

5. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    It's in IMAX 70 in Mississauga and Vaughn, but not downtown for some reason. In my experience, IMAX 70 delivers the best image, followed by IMAX digital, then regular 70mm.

GlennF likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Regarding the non linear structure of the film.

Christopher Nolan

I think that came from looking at the aerial story. Of wanting to put people in the cockpit of the Spitfire in real-time. And when you look at the time scale and you look at how little flying time they had how much fuel they had I didn't want to do multiple missions. I wanted to just have that experience in real time. The film is well under two hours so the proportion of that that's actually in the air is almost literally the real time. I've always been interested in point of view in storytelling. When you look at trying to put the audience very subjectively into the cockpit of the plane the level of detail that that requires the concentration on the fuel gauge, the charts, the gunsight The engine and all of that, a very limited small world. in a way it requires a completely different form of storytelling. Because you have to shoot a completely differently. I didn't want to take the camera outside the plane. I really wanted to be true to that. It's about the concentration of detail. It's about the guy wiping his eyes and blinking at the sun and looking in the review mirror. That has its own timescale a difference timescale to the vast number of people on the beach.

There's a sense in which each storyline tries to feel like it's in real time we try not to do too many time cuts. They have these very different time scales and mathematically I wanted to put it together so that they would coincide at a particular point. they have a confluence and then they would separate again. So I did plotted out very carefully. But when we are watching the film you tend to just experience it. My gamble in a sense was that because people are so used to watching war movies where the same sort of things happened again and again and again people wouldn't get overly hung up on whether they were understanding the structure or not.

They except the action theyre shown, as long as the story is interesting. There's a moment when things come together with the structure works for people and they start to understand the different time schedules. Then they get a bit more enjoyment out of the film anticipating how it's going to come together. But for me it was the only way to tell the story because I want to cross cut the Spitfire pilot with a guy who spending a week on the beach and I didn't want to do multiple missions and construct extra stories. I wanted to put the audience in the cockpit for the time in which they would engage with a couple of different enemies. So even the number of planes is quite restrained, but it's a credible mission in terms of the number of encounters and engagements and so forth.

So that pushes you to use the different timescales. And then the boat fits naturally into that because it's one trip back-and-forth and it's roughly a day.

From Dunkirk: The Complete Screenplay.

Keith Cobby, Sam Posten and TravisR like this.
  7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

That was an interesting read, especially this part:

I would say that Nolan failed in that respect, because the structure of the film is exactly what a lot of people were criticizing and getting hung up on. The structure doesn't bother me, personally, since using convoluted time structures is nothing new for him. In fact, I would say that the time structure in this film is a refinement on how he structured Inception.

I think he wasn't entirely successful in being able to depict the flow of three different time periods using only editing to do it. In fact, using title cards with numbers, a title and a single time stamp actually sets up the audience to expect three distinct acts as in

1. The Mole - One Week. (Act 1)
    2. The Sea - One Day. (Act 2)
    3. The Air - One Hour. (Act 3)

Then he dashes those expectations with a complicated time structure and no time lines to really put it all into perspective for the audience. I can appreciate him trying to be different, but doing that can be a turn off to a lot of audience members, because they only see him as doing it to be different for the sake being different.

Frankly, the 70mm IMAX version of this film did more to put a person in the cockpit of that plane, due to the sheer size of the screen, than him matching the length of the film to the maximum flying time of a Spitfire. What audience member would even make that connection without being told, by Nolan, that that was his intention? I certainly didn't. That is why I had to say that this is one of the few Hollywood style films that really must be seen in its IMAX format to get the full impact, especially in the aerial scenes.

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    I just saw Dunkirk this past Sunday. I liked it, but I am confused. I saw previews for it twice, (the same preview at 2 different movies back in May and June). I thought this was to be much more about the propaganda around the event. In the preview I saw, I saw scenes of various people in and out of newspaper offices, making up flyers about what happened, tinkering with the photos from the shore to make them look more impressive. I was sure that preview was supposed to be about Dunkirk. Are there 2 movies about Dunkirk out around the same time?

9. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don't recall those scenes in any Dunkirk trailers.

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    It's so odd because I distinctly remember the previews and watching to be sure that I caught and made a mental note of the title of the movie (being DUNKIRK), so that we could go see it. My wife thought maybe that was a 'making of', but everyone was dressed appropriately for the period and it sure seemed like that was a preview for the movie itself, not a 'making of'. I wonder if they had a big change in direction from some earlier plans for the movie, or something along those lines.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don't believe so. Christopher Nolan is rare among directors in that his films rarely have "deleted scenes" - he normally scripts everything so tightly that what was in the last draft is pretty much exactly what ends up onscreen. (There's only one "deleted" scene from The Dark Knight for instance, a brief cutaway of the Joker in the back seat of a car driven by one of his thugs "escaping" the party he crashed at Bruce Wayne's penthouse - that didn't make the film but was in the script. Everything else that was scripted for that movie appeared in the movie.) I don't think the focus of Dunkirk was ever meant to be in those other areas you mentioned (Nolan, in interviews, has stressed that he wanted to focus specifically on the rescue and not on the larger war or the context around the event), so it seems extremely unlikely that anything like that would have been shot.

There are a couple World War II themed movies coming out later in the year - I believe one is a film with Gary Oldman as Churchill, and I forget about the other one. It seems more likely to be that you're mixing it up with a different trailer for a different film.

Sam Posten and Tino like this.
  12. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Pretty sure you're thinking of a different movie. Definitely NOT Dunkirk.

13. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Might you be thinking of the Churchill movie?

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    I don't know. Like I said, when I saw the preview I was sure it was for Dunkirk. If you have a link to the Churchill trailer I can take a look.

15. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4555426/

16. Message #456 of 502 Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    No that was not the trailer I saw. You know near the end of Dunkirk they show a newspaper office and even people going in or coming out, well the preview I saw, was almost all stuff like that. Folks talking in the newspaper office and I definitely remember a photo of the beach (I presume Dunkirk, unless it was for D-Day and that was Normandy). But then one of the characters puts up a modified version of that same photo that is more dramatic. And I think one line was, the news is whatever we say it is. Guess it'll stay a mystery as I have no way to go back and see that same preview again.

The Churchill movie it would have been interesting to have had John Lithgow as Churchill and if the movie has Queen Elizabeth, they should have had Claire Foy.

17. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    Just guessing--- THEIR FINEST is an UK film that was released in the US this spring. From IMDB-

"During the London Blitz of World War II, Catrin Cole is recruited by the British Ministry of Information to write scripts for propaganda films that the public will actually watch without scoffing. In the line of her new duties, Cole investigates the story of two young women who supposedly piloted a boat in the Dunkirk Evacuation..."

IMDB also has a trailer at their THEIR FINEST webpage.

18. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Almost positive it is Their Finest.

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    That was it. And the theatre I saw those preview in plays movies that have been out a while, (discount theater), so that is probably why I saw those after the listed release date for THEIR FINEST. I guess because they mention Dunkirk and even are making their own DUNKIRK FILM during the preview, (on the clapboard in one scene), must be why I thought it was Dunkirk. Except the trailer I saw did not make it so obvious the name of the film. In fact, the first time I saw that preview I did not catch the name at all, (that I noticed). That is why the second time I tried to make a point of getting the name and came away thinking it was for DUNKIRK. Thanks Mark and Wayne.

Mark McSherry likes this.
  20. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    TravisR likes this.