What's new

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk - July 2017 (Shot in 70mm) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some people didn't connect with Hardy's character? He didn't say much in the film, but his actions during the film had me rooting for his survival. He could've turn back a couple of times, but he forsake his own well being to continue to protect others.

That is a good point. I have to admit it never really felt like I needed to root for him. I never really thought he would be in any danger of getting killed. He was too good of a pilot.
After all, he was able to blow a Stuka out of the air while dead sticking. You did have to respect him for choosing to stay on station, knowing full well that by doing so he was essentially sacrificing himself.

Edit: Sorry. Decided that I should spoiler that. I think it is still too early to be giving away details.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this at the Odeon L Square in London in 70mm and it looked and sounded fantastic and we even had a 70mm trailer for
Murder on the Orient Express before, best film of the year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in one of the digital/lite IMAX locations. At 1.9:1, even floor to ceiling, it didn't create the same totally immersive experience people are reporting from the 1.44:1 film IMAX locations. But it was worth the price premium for the sound, which absolutely put you right there with the onscreen action.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
For anyone wondering how this movie was going to do needn't have worried. Went to the IMAX near me for a 7:00PM show, line out the door, then someone came out and said only seats left were right up front, so I bailed. This is a Monday night mind you.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I've seen it at the BFI IMAX in London in 70mm and in a typical 70mm showing in Leicester Square London. Absolutely blown away by it - never had a problem with the dialogue and the film was stunning to watch.

Not sure how others who have watched it felt but it certainly was an emotional film for me and others with me. Can't really say if that is because I'm a Brit and was taught about Dunkirk as a child, but I loved the fact you didn't really need to know - 5 minutes in the stakes are obvious.

Branagh spying the ships coming in was a wonderful moment and I know many say Nolan can be a cold filmmaker but this moment really got to me as did the final moments. Loved every minute of it.

Id still put The Dark Knight and Inception above this in terms of Nolan's films but it is still my favourite film of the year so far.

Last edited:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I watched this today in IMAX 70mm at AMC Citywalk.

Absolutely fantastic. This is the first time I've seen a commercial film in IMAX 70mm, and I'm definitely a fan.

This really isn't a war film, as much as it's an escape film. English, French, and other allied troops are fleeing the beach of Dunkirk before German troops arrive. Kind of similar to the way Charlize Theron and her gang are trying to escape from Immortan Joe in Mad Max: Fury Road. It's non-stop intensity from beginning to end. Highly recommended.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Saw it last night at our local digital IMAX. First let me say that overall I enjoyed the movie, it really made you feel like you were there. I didn't have any problems with the lack of dialogue, thought there was plenty there to tell the story Nolan wanted to tell. The dog-fighting was amazing and my favorite parts of the movie and I also really enjoyed the drama on the civilian boat.

There was one thing I did not like and it is getting a lot of praise from some folks. That is the sound, specifically Zimmer's atrocious score (IMO). I don't mind loud movies but, just being loud doesn't make it good and Zimmer's score was just loud noise for most of the big scenes. I thought it actually got in the way of the sound effects and sound editing. Most of the constant big bass thumping heard during the battles was from the score, not the "war" sounds and, to me, it just muddy the whole soundtrack to the point of being annoying.

One of the most powerful war scenes ever film is the opening to SPR which had no music. If any war movie could have succeeded with very little score it is Dunkirk. Nolan should have trusted his sound designer and editor more and pulled the score out and I think the movie would have be even more powerful. There is a great soundtrack there but, unfortunately it is buried behind Zimmer's constant pounding with a horrendous score. It really kept the movie from being great. Zimmer is very hit and miss with me and this was a complete miss. I was expecting more coming off of there last team up Interstellar, a score I really enjoyed and a movie I love.

Anyway, that is my opinion and I know many will disagree but, that's how I feel. I enjoyed the movie but it would have been better with less Zimmer noise.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it last night at our local digital IMAX. First let me say that overall I enjoyed the movie, it really made you feel like you were there. I didn't have any problems with the lack of dialogue, thought there was plenty there to tell the story Nolan wanted to tell. The dog-fighting was amazing and my favorite parts of the movie and I also really enjoyed the drama on the civilian boat.

There was one thing I did not like and it is getting a lot of praise from some folks. That is the sound, specifically Zimmer's atrocious score (IMO). I don't mind loud movies but, just being loud doesn't make it good and Zimmer's score was just loud noise for most of the big scenes. I thought it actually got in the way of the sound effects and sound editing. Most of the constant big bass thumping heard during the battles was from the score, not the "war" sounds and, to me, it just muddy the whole soundtrack to the point of being annoying.

One of the most powerful war scenes ever film is the opening to SPR which had no music. If any war movie could have succeeded with very little score it is Dunkirk. Nolan should have trusted his sound designer and editor more and pulled the score out and I think the movie would have be even more powerful. There is a great soundtrack there but, unfortunately it is buried behind Zimmer's constant pounding with a horrendous score. It really kept the movie from being great. Zimmer is very hit and miss with me and this was a complete miss. I was expecting more coming off of there last team up Interstellar, a score I really enjoyed and a movie I love.

Anyway, that is my opinion and I know many will disagree but, that's how I feel. I enjoyed the movie but it would have been better with less Zimmer noise.
Well Chris here you go.

I thought this was Zimmer's best score and added to the film tremendously. It created such a sense of urgency and suspense that elevated the film to another level.

I've been listening to the soundtrack since I got it a few days ago and it's terrific. It was sometimes drowned out by the sheer volume of the film but on its own it is majestic. Try listening to it and see if you still felt the way you do (which is fine of course). I predict it will win the Oscar for best score.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was Zimmer's best score and added to the film tremendously. It created such a sense of urgency and suspense that elevated the film to another level.
The score wasn't what I would have expected. It seemed modern to the point that it's anachronistic with its setting but the score still worked because, like you said, it added urgency and suspense to what was happening.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I saw 'Dunkirk' today. It is spectacularly well done. One of the best wartime movies I've ever seen. I was moved to tears in a couple of spots and when I wasn't dabbing my cheeks with a napkin I was totally enthralled with the unfolding story. This, despite the fact that I knew a fair bit about the history.

Brilliant job by Christopher Nolan. The Booth Bijou gives if 5 out of 5 stars. We will most definitely be showing it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater later this year.

BTW, I saw it in 70mm projection but not IMAX. The volume (loudness) was perfect. And I loved seeing the flicker of film projection in the bright spots of the frame.

Mark

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Dunkirk was the only film I have seen where the audience applauded at the end.

What made it different to most films is that it only contained one 'act'. There was a small exposition at the beginning before getting straight to the action. The Road is also one act.

Perhaps Chris Nolan will remake The Battle of Britain next. I could see Kenneth Branagh play Laurence Olivier's part (Dowding).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Any particular reason this Hulk guy refuses to use his name? At least this doesn't appear in all caps. I don't like reading things when I don't know where they're coming from.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Dunkirk was the only film I have seen where the audience applauded at the end.

What made it different to most films is that it only contained one 'act'. There was a small exposition at the beginning before getting straight to the action. The Road is also one act.

Perhaps Chris Nolan will remake The Battle of Britain next. I could see Kenneth Branagh play Laurence Olivier's part (Dowding).

Every time that I have seen 2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY in 70mm in recent years, the entire audience has applauded at the end . Nobody even left the cinema until after the credits had finished.How any people actually watch the end credits to-day? One can only wonder if DUNKIRK will get the same treatment in 50 years hence? I doubt it. When I saw APOCALYPSE NOW in Paris in 70mm, there were no credits ( not ever the film's title) at all in the film. It was a first for a film,I believe.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Every time that I have seen 2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY in 70mm in recent years, the entire audience has applauded at the end .

This would indicate that the film is being viewed by an audience of fans since you state "in recent years". Applause at the end of the film from a general audience is not analogous to applause from fans of a film. I know at my viewings of this film there was no audience applause; however, During my first viewing of the film there was a noticeable silence from audience at the end, in which they seemed almost stunned. The audience for that viewing was also quite sizeable.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Back at the IMAX on Wed night, smack dab in the middle of the week and again near capacity. I can't imagine this not shattering records for IMAX engagements. Wonder if the chains that tore down their real IMAX theaters in favor of LieMax are feeling foolish

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There was applause after my Friday morning screening of Dunkirk. I was actually surprised. Pleasantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks