Christoper Nolan's "Following"...good movie!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McLaughlin, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    If you enjoyed "Memento" then give this short (70 minute) black-and-white movie from 1998 a try. This was Nolan's debut movie, and some of the editing involves time-shifting. Although rougher around the edges than "Memento", "Following" is definitely worth a look! Has anyone else seen this?

2. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Yep! After I saw Memento in theaters back in March I was dying to find more from Christopher Nolan so actually found a VHS tape of Following. It was excellent! And purchased the DVD last week as well. It's obviously low budget (made for around $6,000 I think) but the story is fantastic as is the use of non-linear structure. I'm a sucker for what some might call "gimmicky" movies but I think they're original and interesting! =)

Doug

3. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I've been wanting to rent this film for a while, but the only place I've seen it was at Blockbuster. In Pan-And-Scan VHS. [​IMG]
    How is the DVD of this movie?

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

There's some question whether the DVD is in OAR. It's presented in full frame and I'm not sure what the OAR was. I don't see any reason why this release would not get OAR treatment. It's not Cats and Dogs.
    The DVD includes a commentary from Christopher Nolan, the ability to watch the movie in chronological order, and the full shooting script with some notes. It's a good package.
    Memento was your top film of 2001, Michael, so you need to see this movie [​IMG]
    Doug

5. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I think you're right: every proof I've seen seems to indicate that its OAR is 1.33:1.

6. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Fantastic movie! After sitting through that dino dung of a movie JP3, I needed something with talent and creativity. This did not disappoint.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Interesting flick. As the wellspring for Memento, Following is a must-see. That said, I hope Nolan tries something different for his next movie. While interesting, a little bit of "shifting-timeline" storytelling goes a long way. It's already been used to good effect in Pulp Fiction and Before the Rain, but let's not overdo it.

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I thought it was decent, but it strained that word. There is a way to time-shift and keep things interesting, and Following just barely managed that. The jumping around stole alot of power from the basic premise of a man who follows people of interest. The real bummer here was that the film had ALOT of potential. That being said, being that it was so low budget, you have to wonder how much this was shopped around. Was it intentionally done so short or was lack of funding the problem? The story and idea was certainly interesting enough to warrant more funding...so, why so short? Why not add another 30 minutes and show more scenes of actual following people and lead up to meeting with the criminal? It just jumped right into that element and it seemed way too abrupt. Other than that, alot of good potential, but most of it was unrealized.

Bruce

9. Francois_Laliberte

Michael,

fyi, just saw it at my local Blockbuster (in Deux-Montagnes)

10. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Hey guys, I did a search of this forum and couldn't find the release date Of THE FOLLOWING
    IMDB doesn't have a DVD release date on it either....
    Any ideas when this is going to be available???
    Thanks,
    ~Rob

11. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

12. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I picked this up a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Not quite as good as Memtento, but still a great film.

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

From the 2001 film list thread I said this about the film...
    "Also, just watched Following by Christopher Nolan (Memento). Really solid film, though obvious budget limitations kept it from being as good as Memento. I think the film could benefit from 95 minutes of screen time rather than under 70, color 35mm film, and a better lead actor. But the script and direction are solid. Should please all Memento fans."
    I agree that you spend an extra 15 minutes at least on his "following" practice before hooking up with Cobb. The time-shift is okay, but longer intervals on some scenes would work better too, I think.
    And as I said, I actually think this film would play better in color. The "grime" of B&W grainy films works against the sleekness of the double-crossing going on. Just look at how well the color stuff plays in Memento.

14. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Just to clarify the OAR thing:

In the IFC interview on the Memento DVD, Christopher Nolan says that Following was shot in academy ratio (1.37:1, I think) so the full-frame presentation is correct.

Also, as someone mentioned, the film has already been released on DVD. I bought it back in December at Fry's. That's the only store I've seen that carries it, but I haven't been looking for it since I purchased it. Fry's was even advertising it when it came out, which really surprised me since it is a "smaller" film (you know, compared to something like Jurassic Park III).

-Kelly

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I found Following at Fry's several months ago, got it sight unseen because 1) it was on sale 2) high recommendations and 3) I loved Memento.
    I thought that the premise was Following's strongest element. The follow-through, particularly the ending, left me feeling shafted. The editing itself was very well done (and probably a bear to pull off IMO), but some of the actual plot points seems overly contrived in order to manipulate a sudden, shocker ending.
    It's an economical, short film, high on plot and concept, but a little lacking in the character development department, IMO. Still very interesting though, worth watching (and I should probably give it a second chance one of these days).
    Joseph

16. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Well, I agree that Memento was a better film, but I really enjoyed Following.

While watching it, my wife and I were trying to catch every detail expecting a wild pay-off at the end. But while the ending is a little twisty, the movie isn't as "complicated" as Memento. It's probably more accessible to those who couldn't follow Memento the first time through since the non-linearity of the film isn't quite an integral to the story.

-Kelly

(BTW, I'm not saying I found Memento to be overly complicated. I loved the film and understood just about everything after my first viewing, but I know that wasn't the case with everyone.)