What's new

Christmas TV movies (1 Viewer)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I always love watching Christmas movies on TV at this time of the year especially the Hallmark/ABC/Lifetime type christmas movies

I already own The Christmas Shoes, Too Cool For Christmas, Eve's Christmas, I'll Be Home for Christmas (1997), If you Believe, A Chance Of Snow

Can anyone suggest some good Christmas TV movies that are on DVD.

Am thinking of buying The Christmas Visitor and What I Did For Love

a couple I would love to get but are not yet on dvd include

Christmas At the Riviera (2007)
Christmas in Boston (2005)
Meet the Santas (2005)
Snow 2: Brain Freeze (2008)
A Valentine Carol (2007)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't watch a lot of those myself. I can suggest the short Benji's Very Own Christmas Story that aired in 78. The film isn't really about Benji, but more about the history of Santa Claus and how he is viewed all over the world. It ain't bad and does feel like something that would be at home on Lifetime.

Also, the Brady Bunch DVD set includes A Very Brady Christmas, which would have no problem finding an audience on Lifetime. I felt it tried to incorporate too many Lifetime Channel movie plots in it's running time, thereby it was a little annoying. But not too bad if you're a big fan of the Bradys. No Marcia, unfortunately. :frowning:

first thing that came to mind was HBO's Rich Little's A Christmas Carol. Very enjoyable, from around the same time as Benji. But it isn't really like a Hallmark or Lifetime movie. The DVD does include his Robin Hood treatment too. I plan to pick this up one year. Hopefully it won't go out of print before I do.

Anyway, good luck!

LCD22

Screenwriter
I would recommend the following seasonal TV movies:

The Christmas Card - Ed Asner was nominated for an Emmy for this 2006 Hallmark Channel movie. And John Newton plays the lead. This is very timely.

Christmas Child - While this is an independent film, it does get aired a lot on Lifetime. William R. Moses, Megan Follows, and Steven Curtis Chapman star in this story from Max Lucado.

The Christmas Box/Timepiece - Based on Richard Paul Evans' first two novels and includes Richard Thomas, Maureen O'Hara, Annette O'Toole, Michael Ensign, Kevin Kilner, James Earl Jones, and Ellen Burstyn. They originally aired on CBS in the mid-'90s. He did a third in this trilogy called "The Letter" but unfortunately it has yet to be adapted. It's a really shame too as these are my all-time favorites.

The first three are available on DVD.

The Christmas Wish - I found out this was released on DVD, but is no longer available. Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds are excellent in this made-for-TV movie. Naomi Watts is also among the cast.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
"The Kid Who Loved Christmas" which came out in '88 I believe. It starred Della Reese, Alfre Woodard, Sammy Davis Jr., Vanessa Williams and Gregory Hines. This one was also produced by Eddie Murphy's production company at the time. Great story about a father trying to keep custody of his adopted son following a family tragedy. Very heartwarming and enjoyable. It was released on VHS years ago but I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen a DVD release yet.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Not on dvd yet but "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with Hal Holbrook and Eva Marie Saint is sooooo wonderful. It takes place during WWII as a family awaits a son's return. Tragic story but it is beautiful. It was an NBC production. Courtney Cox also stars. (1988)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'll second

The Christmas Card
The Christmas Child

I WOULD NOT recommend The Christmas Cottage. I rented this and couldn't even finish the movie, it was horrible.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Has anyone seen Holiday in Handcuffs? I think it has Mario Lopez aka Slater from Saved By the Bell in it

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I like Smoky Mountain Christmas with Dolly Parton and Lee Majors. It was made back in the late 80's and it's hard to catch on tv, but it was on FX in early December.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A Boyfriend for Christmas. Santa keeps a 20 year old promise.
Kelli Williams, Patrick Muldoon

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
"Yes, Virginia There Is A Santa Claus" (1991) with Charles Bronson, and "An American Christmas Carol" (1979) with Henry Winkler.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Two Christmas TV movies we try to watch each year are THE GATHERING with Ed Asner and Maureen Stapleton and MERCY MISSION with Scott Bakula and Robert Loggia.

THE GATHERING hasn't seen a release since the early LaserDisc days, so it'll be hard to track down. MERCY MISSION got a DVD release as a two-fer with another airline thriller.

THE GATHERING is a sentimental, warm, fuzzy, family-time move, about a dying and estranged patriarch trying to gather his scattered family one last time at Christmas.

MERCY MISSION takes place around Christmas and has a few Christmas-sy elements, but really isn't related to the holiday all that much. Rather it's just a good airplane adventure story.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks