Christmas Stress

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonRoeber, Dec 24, 2002.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Who else is suffering from lots of Christmas related stress? I feel really crummy right now because I got into a big fight this morning with my fiancee about silly crap, and although we both realized that we're just stressed out, I still feel really bad. She's been working really hard to get her PhD preliminary thesis done before the 2nd, and she's also done nearly all of the wrapping as well as making a few gifts. I've been busy with work as well, and I finally finished all of our holiday baking last night. Combined with having to entertain grandparents in from out of town, as well as making sure we see all of our friends and families during the holidays, we're both stressed out.

At this point, it looks like we're going to suffer through the holidays, and then finally get to rest mid-January.

2. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Dang, 'tis the season. I'm *so* stressed out right now, too. I've been working like crazy attempting to pick up hours at work. Plus, find the time to buy gifts for everyone and attend parties and see family and friends. And to top all of that, my girlfriend and I are moving in four days to a larger apartment. *sigh* Stress levels are at an all time high for me, too.

Good luck and happy holidays!

Scott.

3. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Holidays are definitely not something you should "suffer through." I can relate to you Scott, as I am moving in to a new apartment with a friend the weekend after Christmas, and that can always be a pain, but even with not having a job right now, I don't feel any added stress because it's the holidays. I guess part of it is that my family doesn't ever feel obligated to anyone other than ourselves (mom, dad, sister, and I). For the most part we only buy gifts for ourselves and never splurge on them. No parties we don't want to go to, no guests we don't want to entertain. I have friends that always feel the ned to please others, even if they don't really care about them, and that increases 10 fold this time of year.

My Christmas wish for everyone is to not forget about those that are truly special to you because you are too busy trying to accomodate or please everyone else. Happy Holidays!

Chris

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sometimes drinking helps...what normally stresses me out with the family disappears after a few Xmas drinks.
    Good luck!

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Is your egg nog prepared properly? [​IMG]
    The holidays always cause stress, sometimes you have to spend money that you really don't have.
    Especially Christmas, it has lost it's true meaning, it has really been reduced to "Giftmas".
    What would really help me is if I got a Christmas bonus and a paid week off to boot.
    Unfortunately I work for Jehovahs Witnesses (I'm the only one at my job that is a non denom Christian), so as a result JW's do not celebrate Christmas and therefore no Christmas bonus and no time off, except Christmas day itself (which is paid).
    Try to take it easy Don (and everyone), you'll make it.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    T.G.I.O. = Thank God It's Over!
    Now I can relax for the next 330 days. [​IMG]

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'm lucky. Our family is scattered across the country. Aside from a brief day trip to Ottawa to see my father and sister, I don't have any huge family meetings planned for the entire holiday season. I haven't even planned any trips anywhere else! For two and a half weeks, I get to enjoy living in my beautiful home doing not much of anything except get plenty of rest.

8. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

9. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

My wife and I decided that this Christmas was going to have zero stress. And we succeeded!
    1) Gift cards for friends and distant family.
    2) Candy and baked goods for co-workers.
    3) One big gift each for my wife, myself and our daughter (she's 26).
    No tree. No wrapping paper. No mess to clean and no decorations to put away afterward. We spent our mostly free evenings enjoying holiday movies and holiday music in our home theater. Put us in the mood just fine. Sure, we attended a couple of parties too, but those were easy to find time for since we weren't running all over hell's half acre shopping for presents.
    We're going to do it again next year! [​IMG]
    Mark

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Just a followup. Christmas is now over, so that helps a lot. Everyone had a good time. Going to see my family for a few days later this week. We decided that instead of trying to see all of our friends on New Years, we're just going to have a small party and invite people we want to see. Buy a bunch of wings and soda, get some board games out, and we'll be all set for New Years. *whew* Feeling better already.

Fortunately, money wasn't an issue this year, just time.

11. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I think I'm going to save a copy of this thread for next year. Every year Christmas is more stressful than the prior year, mainly due to obligations put on us by the in-laws. They always do stuff on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, leaving us little time for MY folks, or just my wife and I to enjoy Christmas together. Then add to that a foot of snow during the worst possible time, when we had to be out and about, and the usual shopping and not having any money all month stress, and job stresses (layoff rumors, etc.) and let's just say I didn't enjoy the holidays at all this year. Next year I hope to simplify, simplify, simplify! Now if I can only convince the wife we don't need a Christmas tree or to buy gifts for everyone.

Last night, after everything was all over (and driving home in a blizzard) I was a wreck. Today I'm still tired, and have to work, after shoveling a foot of snow from the driveway. Somehow, I don't think Christmas was intended to be like this. It's gone from a Christian holiday to a commercial, make-the-stores-money (and make me poor) holiday. It's time for a change.

KJP

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    Boxing Day is also a great time to find out exactly how much the stores paid for their merchandise. Unless a store is going out of business, no retailer will sell an item below cost. There are exceptions to this rule where the purchase of one product at a discount price requires you to purchase another product at a much higher price in order to complete the set. But overall, everything today is still being sold at wholesale prices and up. So when you see an item being sold at 40% off, that 40% was most likely part of the merchant's original mark-up. And they may still be making money on the sale!

Unless I find something I really want at a great price, I won't be purchasing anything today. I usually shop at places where I know how much the merchant paid for the product in question, and charges me no more than 10% over their cost. At that price, I always come out a winner, and the merchant still makes money on the sale. The only exception to this rule is certain low-cost items where that 10% mark-up may not even add up to a couple of extra bucks for the retailer.

I don't mind the merchants making a reasonable amount of money on every sale. I just don't like the fact that many merchants are selling their products for so much more than what they actually paid for it. I don't appreciate price gouging in any shape or form.

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    Oops... Please not my previous post was intended for another thread! Somehow I got both subjects mixed up. :b