What's new

Christmas songs that have stood the test of time (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Anybody else out there see the episode on Nightline the other night discussing "White Christmas" written by Irving Berlin? Of course nobody sings it like Bing Crosby, what a voice! Is it just me or does anyone else notice that alot of the Christmas tunes written in the last 30 years or so can't hold a candle to the older Christmas songs? Does anybody write great Christmas music anymore that can compare with the old standards?

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
A fairly new song that comes to mind is "This Christmas" (especially the Harry Connick version). It's kind of catchy and I think will be around for awhile.

Also - call me sacreligious, but I think Dean Martin does a better job with "White Christmas" than old Bing.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Somewhere recently they were showing very old footage of Bing and he said that 'White Christmas' wasn't even supposed to be the BIG song from Holiday Inn and that it was thrown in at the last minute. I believe he said that "Be Careful, It's My Heart" was supposed to be the showstopper. Oh well, just goes to show ya these things ain't easy to predict.

Lin

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Al, thanks for the tip on the Harry Connick Jr. tune. I might have heard it before and didn't realize it was him. The guy can swing it out with the best. Also I agree that Dean Martin does a really stand up job on "White Christmas" too. The Nightline program mentioned that Bing thought about dropping the song from his set list during his USO shows because he noticed alot of our boys overseas would be crying as he sang it, that he felt bad that he was bringing them down. He felt he was there to boost their morale and spirit. He decided to keep the song in because at every show he had so many requests for it. I think the song reminded the guys of home and their loved ones back home. I'll be the first to say that I find it very sentimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks