Christmas Shopping Season is virtually over and STILL NO Wipeout!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What's going on? Anyone have any news?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Wipeout Fusion? It's out in Australia. SCEE are keeping it back till February to go against the XBox & GameCube in Europe. As for the USA, I have no clue was SCEA are doing - they've not said much about it at all.

Initial reports from Australia haven't been /too/ impressive to be honest. Too many stories of 'dumbed down' handling/gameplay. A mate visiting down there right now has picked up a couple of copies, so I'm sure I'll hear all about it in great detail soon.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If Brian's mate is grabbing copies from Australia, presumably that means people here know what gaming 'region' its in. Is it US, Japan, Europe, or one of its own?

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Iain, Australia is considered part of Europe in the gaming region system. Basically, their TVs are PAL, and their games are encoded in the same region as the UK.

So, an Australian Wipeout Fusion will work on a UK PS2 without any mods or fuss.

Was the same with the N64 - I had friends who imported ExciteBike & some others from Australia because THE Games too so bloody long to bring them to the UK.

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Thanks Brian. I'm off to check out shipping places, but I'm not getting a PS2 until spring at the earliest now- just seen my bank balance post-present buying!

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I wouldn't rush to buy it from Australia, Iain. Initial reports ain't been /too/ favourable to it... It's out in the UK around February time.

I'm taking a wait & see attitude to it - the Wipeout series is awesome, but I fear they've dumbed it down too much to appeal to the widest audience.

7. Michael St. Clair

Speaking of which, is there a way to get the Special Edition of Wipeout 3 (the one with tons of tracks from the first 2 games) to play on an NTSC PSX?

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There's a gameshark code for switching it into NTSC I believe.

Been meaning to pick it up myself.