1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas movies and TV episodes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cajunhillbilly, Aug 23, 2015.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    And no Scrooged (1988)? That one's a favorite of mine, although my preference runs towards the 1935, 1938 and 1951 movies (I can watch any of those 3 and be happy).

davidmatychuk likes this.
  2. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I was sticking only to traditional tellings (Magoo barely qualified there since the "production" of the story is done straight). No parody versions or sitcom versions of the story or anything like that. I did a couple radio adaptations too along the way.

cajunhillbilly and davidmatychuk like this.
  3. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk

Outstanding review, Jack!

Jack P likes this.
  4. Message #704 of 732 Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    And no Muppet Christmas Carol? ;) That one is a very respectable take on the Dickens' classic, thanks especially to a very serious Michael Caine performance as Scrooge and also, rather surprisingly, a lot of Dicken's original text and dialogue.

Any way you slice it, that's an epic list of adaptations you got through, Jack!

5. Message #705 of 732 Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    TCM ran a new print tonight of the Roy Rogers Trucolor western, TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD (1950), which has a Christmas theme in its story of competitors in a race to harvest Christmas trees in time to get them to market for the holiday. Retired western star Jack Holt is selling his trees at cost, which makes it more of a charity venture, forcing a corrupt competitor to resort to sabotage and violence to get their trees harvested and sold first. More fistfights, shootouts and chases than you'd normally see in a Christmas story.

[​IMG]

6. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    There is one more Scrooge. The 1982 Burbank animated version. This one looks similar to the 1969 version, but is a little longer clocking about an hour and ten minutes. I still have this one on tape. No DVD version yet.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Watched one of my all-time favorite Christmas episodes, "Merry Gentlemen" from Series 2 of All Creatures Great and Small. If anyone doesn't know about this program, it's a very warm drama based on the books by James Herriott, about his days as a veterinarian in pre-war Yorkshire. Lots to like here: lovely, wintry scenery, lovably human main characters, plenty of sharp dialogue and sly humor, and a real slice-of-life feel. Highest recommendation, both for this episode and the show overall.

[​IMG]

davidmatychuk, KPmusmag and Flashgear like this.
  8. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Screenwriter

Willard
    the only Christmas watching I have done in a few days is "12 Dogs Days Till Christmas" It was okay but not anything special

davidmatychuk likes this.
  9. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I watched the Brady Bunch and Partridge Christmas episodes yesterday. Fond memories. Being that the shows were about family, you would think they would have done more Christmas episodes, I wish there were more. I admit I always get a catch in my throat when Dean Jagger opens his door to find the Partridges there, complete with presents and a Christmas tree, and I like their acoustic version of "Have Yourself...", one of the few times you can really hear Shirley Jones.

10. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

The Albert Finney "Scrooge" is my favorite version of A Christmas Carol, and probably my second-favorite Christmas movie after the original "Miracle on 34th Street." I love the score, I think Finney was excellent as Scrooge. The only downside to the movie is that bewilderingly awful "Hell" scene with Alec Guinness at the end of the Christmas Yet To Come segment. It's so bizarre, so stupid and so out of tune with the rest of the movie that I can't imagine why it was inserted. Maybe the studio mandated more screen time for Guinness? That scene was always cut out of network TV airings of the movie when I was a kid, and I never even knew it existed until I first saw it on home video. I always fast-forward through that scene. It's the only instance I can think of where a movie was improved by being cut for commercials.

The Alastair Sim one is very good too. I was impressed by the expanded backstory of Scrooge and Marley... it fit in very well with Dickens' style and voice and I would have found it believable if Dickens himself had written as part of a hypothetical expansion of the story into a novel.

"Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" is, I believe, the first version of the story I ever saw, as a child when it was still being shown regularly on network TV. Thus I would have a nostalgia-fueled positive attitude toward it no matter what, but it was really a pretty good adaptation. The score was much better than you would expect from an animated TV special (even if it was the first), and the script doesn't dumb down anything for a modern audience. (Not until the Internet came about was I able to look up what "Walk-er" means.)

I am also fond of the George C. Scott version, even though having an American play Scrooge may seem like sacrilege. His humorless, more restrained portrayal of the character seemed to capture the essence of a man whose nastiness is based more on deep depression rather than real malice.

Of all the direct film adaptations, the Reginald Owen one is probably my least favorite. Just uninspired, although I suspect the airings I saw on TV were pretty well butchered for commercials.

11. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    Got my Miracle on 34th Street fix in yesterday. Kids still wonder why I like "those black and white shows". :)

holtge, Ron1973, Flashgear and 3 others like this.
  12. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Edging my way towards the top tier of annual traditions.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents S1-"Santa Claus And The 10th Avenue Kid"
    The Twilight Zone S2-"Night Of The Meek"
    The Twilight Zone S3-"The Changing Of The Guard" (it's amazing how even in HD, Donald Pleasance's makeup is still convincing)
    The Six Million Dollar Man S4-"A Bionic Christmas Carol"

I've also been making my way through the Christmas episodes of "I've Got A Secret". Gotten through 1952 to 1957 so far. I'll see if I can make it to 1966!

13. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    BTW I totally agree that "Scrooge" with Albert Finney is by far my fav "A Christmas Carol" movie. Looks especially nice in HD. I recall seeing it as a kid and totally getting freaked out by the door knocker scene near the beginning. Creeped me the heck out at the time. Still sorta does even today! :)

14. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    Yeah because Brits never play Americans... !!!

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

Brits tend to play Americans a lot more convincingly than Americans play Brits. I don't know why that is.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Definitely agree with this!

Got distracted watching other things this week, but will get back on the Christmas-episode track over the next few days leading up to the 25th.

Flashgear and cajunhillbilly like this.
  17. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Had someone have told me a Brit could portray Hank Williams, Sr. believably, I would have thought they were nuts! Tom Hiddleston acted and sounded like he was born and raised in Alabama!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The two Christmas episodes of the "Loretta Young Show" I always get to each year.

"Christmas Stopover"
    "Three And Two"

And now the stage is set for the big ones to be seen by the end of Sunday evening. (Wagon Train, HGWT, Dragnet, Dr. Kildare).

cajunhillbilly and Gary OS like this.
  19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Could be because the Southern Drawl is pretty much Cockney spoken slower with different slang.

Ron1973 likes this.
  20. Jack P

Jack P Producer

On the matter of Brits playing Americans, I have to say that while there are some Brits who can do it brilliantly like Barry Morse who really sounded like a convincing midwesterner on "The Fugitive", many other Brits have a tendency to think that an "American accent" means an exaggerated Texas or southern accent. I notice this frequently when listening to BBC radio dramas and when there's an American character he has a Texas/southern type accent that frankly sounds as ridiculous to my ear as Dick Van Dyke's Cockney in "Mary Poppins" must have sounded to a Brit. Gary Raymond in "Suddenly Last Summer" also laid on the southern accent way too thick, when playing American.

MartinP. likes this.