1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas movies and TV episodes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cajunhillbilly, Aug 23, 2015.

1. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    A large full colour "AS FEATURED IN TCM'S 'CHRISTMAS IN THE MOVIES'" sticker might be helpful. Also, making sure it's categorized as a Christmas movie wherever home video is sold. I'm full of helpful suggestions when it comes to Christmas movies I don't have in my collection.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  2. Message #662 of 711 Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    Love this movie! A big part of my childhood! It’s a wonder this vhs still plays it was watched so many times.

[​IMG]

3. John*Wells

John*Wells Second Unit

John
    I have Gomer Pyle USMC on DVD (All Seasons) and I don't think that show ever had a Christmas Episode. Am I wrong on that? or am I just missing it ?

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Nope. You are correct. No Christmas episode with that series. It’s a shame, really. Seems it would’ve been a natural fit.

Gary “I could see a great Christmas ep with that show” O.

5. Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie Stunt Coordinator

Never would've thought it possible, but you guys found a reason for me to like Gomer Pyle.

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Little girl blue is so close it just needs a tree and carols inserted in!! Sgt Carter dressing like Santa in a scene.. classic! in my mind! lol

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Gary OS like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    Lat night I watched the season 2 Starsky and Hutch episode, "Little Girl Lost," with Kristy McNichol. Didn't even know this show had done a Christmas-themed episode, but digging through the old "Christmas TV" thread started by Gary OS many years ago, I've been reminded of lots of Christmas episodes from series that I didn't have in my collection at that time, but now do.

Anyway, I enjoyed this one quite a bit, thanks mainly to the fun bromance between leads Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul. There's some good stuff with Starsky making fun of Hutch's health-food-filled home and lifestyle, and Hutch's final gift to Starsky in the epilogue was a nice payback. Kristy McNichol was saddled with a bratty character but did a good job in her portrayal. As usual with this show, there was some good action, including a lot of stuff you'd probably never see on a TV show these days (like Starsky cavalierly shooting at a getaway car in the middle of a public street and the duo's general rough treatment of suspects.) I also enjoyed not only Starsky's irrepressible Christmas spirit, but all the decorations strewn around the various seedy L.A. locations.

8. Message #668 of 711 Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Glad that older thread helped you out, Jeff. Once Willard [aka Cajun] started this one, I decided there was no need in having two so I let my older one fade. But I'm happy that it still serves some benefit to folks.

Gary "definitely my favorite time of year" O.

Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Thanks for reminding me to make room for the Van Dyke Show Christmas episode today!

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Gary OS like this.
  10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    And don't forget the Dr Kildare Christmas episode. That one's a true classic!

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Kildare, Dragnet and "Have Gun Will Travel" I tend to hold back for closer to Christmas since they are in the best overall.

Just finished the DVD release of the 1955 telecast of "Amahl And The Night Visitors" and now on to Van Dyke!

12. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I concur with your thinking there. Those three, along with a couple of others, are episodes I hold off viewing until the last couple of days before Christmas.

Gary "gotta hold off on It's a Wonderful Life until Christmas Eve as well" O.

13. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    been bingeing through my Christmas TV episodes in my collection
    Got through nine of the thirteen Doctor Who specials this week.
    Yesterday I watched a couple of favorites - Tenko and China Beach.
    Right now, one of the best - Moonlighting - Twas The Episode Before Christmas.

Movies will start later this week.

14. Message #674 of 711 Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel
    Not a big fan of the rebooted Doctor Who (love the original), but some of those Christmas specials are pretty good - especially the Matt Smith ones.

There are a lot of good Brit TV Christmas specials, for those who are willing to stray from strictly North American fare. Some of the U.K. sitcoms don't have a whole lot to do with Christmas per se, but there are plenty of show that muster up some strong Christmas vibes. Some I try to watch every other year or so include:

The Box of Delights
    A six episode fantasy serial from the BBC, shown at least once on Wonderworks on PBS in the 80s. The first two episodes especially are just drenched in vintage Christmassy atmosphere.

All Creatures Great and Small
    - "Merry Gentleman"
    The series finale, "Brotherly Love," is good as well, but this earlier series 2 episode is better, and just a wonderfully warm, human hour of 70s U.K. telly.

Blackadder's Christmas Carol
    A very funny reversal of the Dicken's classic, as Ebeneezer Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson) turns from nice doormat to full-on snarky Scrooge.

Sherlock Holmes - "The Blue Carbuncle"
    The Peter Cushing version is quite good, but the Jeremy Brett one is the best, sumptuously produced and full of great Victorian atmosphere.

Poirot - "The Theft of the Royal Ruby"
    An adaptation of the story "The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding" finds Poirot spending a traditional Christmas at a manor house, trying to nab a couple of jewel thieves. Very fun, and much lighter in tone than the movie-length "Hercule Poirot's Christmas."

The Avengers - "Too Many Christmas Trees"
    I know Peter M. Fitzgerald has championed this one before. Well worth seeing (these black-and-white Emma Peel episodes are the best!)

The Vicar of Dibley
    - "The Christmas Lunchtime Incident"
    Dibley has several Christmas specials, but this is by far the best, and funniest, with the highlight being Geraldine the Vicar (Dawn French) being her usual kind self and accepting invitations to four separate Christmas lunches, which she must then try to eat lest she offend her hosts.

Several other Britcoms have memorable specials, including Are You Being Served?, Dad's Army, Porridge, Last of the Summer Wine, To the Manor Born, The Good Life, and The Thin Blue Line, plus dozens more.

15. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Screenwriter

Willard
    Just watched "Ebenezer" (1998) on region 2 dvd with Jack Palance. A very different retelling of A Christmas Carol. Enjoyed it very much as a redemption story

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

"The Christmas Tree Ship."-A 2004 Weather Channel documentary about the loss of the Great Lakes ship Rouse Simmons in 1912 while bringing Christmas trees from Michigan to Chicago, and the legacy of her captain who had been a local Christmas celebrity each year selling the Christmas trees he had harvested.

"Time And Again-Christmas."-The one great contribution in the existence of MSNBC was it's late 90s series "Time And Again" which mined the NBC News Archives every night to tell us history, and in this case their Christmas show marked the only time since 1972 that any portion of the 1960 Project XX documentary "The Coming of Christ" narrated by Alexander Scourby has ever been aired again. While NBC released a number of Project XX documentaries devoted to American history topics, "The Coming Of Christ" with its telling the story set to the visuals of great works of art, remains sadly MIA in its full version.

17. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town-This was just the second time in about 30 plus years I've seen this particular Rankin-Bass special and the first time since probably 2000. I watched a new YT upload of an original recording from a 1981 ABC airing. For some reason I feel like I have to watch an original broadcast recording from "my" era to get into these specials (hence my policy on my Charlie Brown Christmas recording etc.). I have to admit it's easy to see why this special kind of fell off the map compared to more enduring classics because the through-line is a little pedestrian and more damaging is how unlike the timelessness of the best specials, this one betrays its 1970 origin with some all-too-obvious psychedelic touches in the musical numbers that look dated even in a 1981 airing (not to mention some too obvious attempts to have the young Santa identify with the "non-conformist rebel" image of late 60s social protest).

The uploaded recording left in the commercials and the opening credits of "The Love Boat" which followed, ironically a repeat of the S4 Christmas episode I had just watched for the first time last week! Plus, seeing other ABC promos for other rather forgotten specials like "Frosty's Winter Wonderland" etc. airing on the network offer a reminder of how as a child in the late 70s and early 80s December could always seem saturated with all kinds of specials.

Ron1973, Flashgear, Darby67 and 4 others like this.
  18. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel
    Caught the "Alan Brady Presents" Christmas episode from season 3 of The Dick Van Dyke Show. While I prefer the usual DVDS format, this was an interesting one-off. Highlights for me were the Rose-Marie number ("Santa, Send a Fella") and the cute little song-and-dance Santa sketch with Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore.

I also recently checked out The Johnny Cash Christmas Special from 1977 on YouTube. Quite an excellent line-up of guest talent, aside from Johnny and June Carter: the Statler Brothers, Roy Clark, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis. Enjoyed this one quite a bit...not all Christmas music, of course, but plenty of it sprinkled throughout. Johnny seemed fired up and on good form, with more of a focus on storytelling and less on the kind of forced banter often found in variety specials of the time.

19. JQuintana

JQuintana Supporting Actor

Johnny
    Google Play Movies had Home Alone in 4K for $9 so we downloaded it and watched it over the weekend. HA2 is same price but not sure it's worth investing in. I may just wait for Freeform to show it.

holtge likes this.
  20. Jack P

Jack P Producer

A Christmas Carol (1951)-The Alastair Sim classic. Usually I save this for later but this year I'm going to watch all versions of the story I plan to see in chronological production sequence.

Night Gallery S2-"The Messiah On Mott Street." Always goes without saying that this is the only truly successful interfaith Christmas episode every done because it does so by presenting the story in a way where it can be interpreted through Jewish and Christian perspectives but regardless of which, it's presented in an atmosphere of total true co-existence of the season.

Flashgear and Gary OS like this.