What's new

Christmas movies and TV episodes (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just finished viewing the 1967 Christmas episodes of THE MONKEES and BEWITCHED, the latter of which I have no recall of ever viewing! I really enjoyed the Scrooge elements in the BEWITCHED episode, although I suspect the "one of a kind" Suzy Bruisy doll (She bruises when you squeeze her!) would go over like a lead balloon today.

CHEERS! :)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
My daughter watched a bunch of Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas movies in the week preceding Christmas. I asked her who was in them and she came up with names of a lot of people who used to be on popular network TV shows, e.g. Jane Seymour, Greg Evigan, Jasmine Guy, Kim Fields, Maxwell Caulfield, Lacey Chabert and former cast members of "Full House," among others. Roger Moore is in one of them! (" A Princess for Christmas"). Parker Stevenson, Pamela Sue Martin and Marina Sirtis are all in "My Christmas Prince." I haven't watched any of these myself, nor do I plan to.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Now that you posted that, I remembered reading it--I have that album! Lovely to read it again! Do I also admit I have either near 600 or over 600 Christmas music / Holiday albums? This one inspired me to find a whole album of Christmas music played on the Harpsichord. (I'm looking for a good one all done on the theremin, now!)

And, of course, I added some more this year, too!

Do you have "The Singing Saw At Christmastime"? That one sure got a workout here this year.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My daughter watched a bunch of Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas movies in the week preceding Christmas. I asked her who was in them and she came up with names of a lot of people who used to be on popular network TV shows, e.g. Jane Seymour, Greg Evigan, Jasmine Guy, Kim Fields, Maxwell Caulfield, Lacey Chabert and former cast members of "Full House," among others. Roger Moore is in one of them! (" A Princess for Christmas"). Parker Stevenson, Pamela Sue Martin and Marina Sirtis are all in "My Christmas Prince." I haven't watched any of these myself, nor do I plan to.

Those movies, many of which are filmed right here in Vancouver, are a weird, interesting social phenomenon, if you ask me. It says something about modern life that there's this barrage of interchangeable, innocuous, pleasant Christmas romance movies being made every year for cable TV. They could stop making them forever and probably no one would notice; they'd just keep watching the existing ones. Having said all that, I kind of like them. Interesting...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Those movies, many of which are filmed right here in Vancouver, are a weird, interesting social phenomenon, if you ask me. It says something about modern life that there's this barrage of interchangeable, innocuous, pleasant Christmas romance movies being made every year for cable TV. They could stop making them forever and probably no one would notice; they'd just keep watching the existing ones. Having said all that, I kind of like them. Interesting...
The Mrs likes watching a lot of these. One among them, CHRISTMAS INHERITANCE, which premiered on Netflix Canada earlier this month, was shot mostly in North Bay, which is named Snow Falls (!) in the film. In the downtown scenes, the storefronts aren't masked in any way, thus places that we've frequented, such as Gulliver's Books, can be seen as they are. However, one bit of irony is the snow, which usually is in ample supply during our long winter months, had to be manufactured (By the company that supplies our local Ski Lodge, perhaps?) for the summer shoot.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I just finished viewing the 1967 Christmas episodes of THE MONKEES and BEWITCHED, the latter of which I have no recall of ever viewing! I really enjoyed the Scrooge elements in the BEWITCHED episode, although I suspect the "one of a kind" Suzy Bruisy doll (She bruises when you squeeze her!) would go over like a lead balloon today.

I admit I cringe at that. I can't believe it went over that well in 1967, either. I have wondered if it was intended to make fun of the dolls that talk, wet their diapers, etc. In a sense, "What nonsense will they come up with next?" It seems too absurd to have been intended as a legitimate toy.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I admit I cringe at that. I can't believe it went over that well in 1967, either. I have wondered if it was intended to make fun of the dolls that talk, wet their diapers, etc. In a sense, "What nonsense will they come up with next?" It seems too absurd to have been intended as a legitimate toy.
I suspect the intent was just as you stated, and I certainly don't recall ever hearing of any real dolls that bruise when squeezed, which was the part that really got to me the most.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I suspect the intent was just as you stated, and I certainly don't recall ever hearing of any real dolls that bruise when squeezed, which was the part that really got to me the most.

I just remembered that a year or two ago a friend was over when I had that on and he remarked, "That Santa is one twisted m----------r." LOL

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Yea I know Christmas is over but I had to watch "Help for the Holidays" (2012) with Summer Glau. I really think she is a fantastic actress
Here's your excuse from now on. Eastern Orthodox Christmas is January 6th. You, of course, have 12 days of Christmas, so you have every right to listen to Christmas music or watch Christmas shows!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I only picked up the new Christmas videos that I special-ordered last Sunday, so I'm still rolling. "Nutcracker: The Motion Picture" on Blu-Ray is phenomenal, "Carol Burnett Lost Christmas" on DVD was a lot of fun (even if they tease you at the end of the third episode by showing you the cast in their "Scrooge" musical parody outfits but not the actual skit), "Mrs. Santa Claus" on DVD meant that I could finally retire the VHS tape, and "Frasier Christmas" with its 8 great Christmas episodes was a real delight. I'm also still watching old favourites; why stop now? And as far as Christmas music goes, I've always thought that the difference between us and the lower animals is that we can listen to music while watching TV with the sound off, so it's sports and Christmas music all the way past Ukrainian New Year's Day this Monday and beyond! Life's too short to not enjoy Christmas as much as you can. I also just saw that the Blu-Ray of the wonderful "The Man Who Invented Christmas" comes out at the beginning of March, and I can guarantee you that it's a Christmas movie classic that we'll all be enjoying for the rest of our lives. So if Home Video says it's still Christmas, that should be good enough for anybody!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll be having my annual "Christmas In July" week beginning on the weekend after July 4th weekend. It's a great way to get your mind off the hot summer days. :cheers:

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
After suffering through four noreasters in three weeks in MARCH with collectively three feet of snow, I have no desire to get my mind off the thought of hot summer days at all! :)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I picked up the new Blu-Ray of "The Man Who Invented Christmas" a couple of weeks ago, and the movie is just as wonderful as I remembered from the theatre in December. It's a bit disappointing that the disc has no extras other than a 3-minute EPK item but the quality of the transfer is sensational. This movie is a new Christmas classic, and I look forward to sharing it in December with everyone I know (I'm sure I'll be watching it myself again before then).

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
just saw "the Robe" for Easter watch it every year

My family was always big on Easter. I had a few aunts and one dear cousin who made the Ukrainian Easter eggs in expert fashion pretty much all year round. We'd have an Easter dinner gathering every bit as big as the one at Christmas, with extra added chocolate. And of course, we enjoyed a lot of movies with Easter content, "Ben-Hur" being a particular favourite. It's a great time for families, more modestly scaled than Christmas, and a nice Spring long weekend for everybody (with extra added Chocolate).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks