What's new

Christmas movies and TV episodes (1 Viewer)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Watched "A Ghost Story" for Halloween but only saw half of it Was very weird and slow moving, boring in fact

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
just finished one of my favorite Christmas comedies- "Deck the Halls" (2006) with Danny DeVito Very funny

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I just brought home the new Blu-Rays of "Prancer" and "Yes Virginia There Is A Santa Claus". I'm looking forward to watching them both closer to Christmas, but will I be surprised if I end up watching them both tonight while I'm checking out how they look on Blu-Ray? No, I will not be surprised.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
My plans are to begin my Holiday viewing on the day after Thanksgiving with my revival of WXYZ TV Detroit's early 1970s Post-Thanksgiving Daytime TV programming regarding their morning and afternoon movies and the animated series shown between them, then watch The Polar Express that evening. :cheers:

Real Name
Nick M.
My plans are to begin my Holiday viewing on the day after Thanksgiving with my revival of WXYZ TV Detroit's early 1970s Post-Thanksgiving Daytime TV programming regarding their morning and afternoon movies and the animated series shown between them, then watch The Polar Express that evening. :cheers:

As a lifelong Detroiter, I am intrigued by what your WXYZ post-Thanksgiving daytime prpgramming recreation consists of. I recall a batch of Saturday morning shows. I remember around the holidays Rita Bell would feature either "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear" or "The Man Called Flintstone" on her prize movie.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
As a lifelong Detroiter, I am intrigued by what your WXYZ post-Thanksgiving daytime prpgramming recreation consists of. I recall a batch of Saturday morning shows. I remember around the holidays Rita Bell would feature either "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear" or "The Man Called Flintstone" on her prize movie.

You got it! On the day after Thanksgiving Rita Bell's Prize Movie was The Man Called Flintstone and the Afternoon Movie was Hey There! It's Yogi Bear!, both of which I have on DVD. I also have over 150 "Saturday Morning" animated series on DVD, so it's a cinch for me to bring this day back. I just love re-living my Childhood, which, IMO is one of the funnest things you can do with this hobby. As for The Polar Express, this tradition began in 2005. On that "Black Friday" morning I purchased a 53-inch HDTV which was installed that afternoon. While at that store I also picked up a copy of TPE for a buck, so naturally it was the first movie played on the new TV set that evening. This is now how I begin my holiday viewing. The final movie in the series is It's a Wonderful Life, which I play on the evening of December 23rd. On December 26 I'll watch one of the Rocky movies (because it's Boxing Day) :D and on December 31 I'll watch all three versions of The Poseidon Adventure. On the evening after the University of Michigan/Ohio State University football game my movie of choice is that great "Football Movie in Disguise", Red Dawn. :laugh::rolling-smiley::cheers:

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
1y5366.jpg

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I find it amazing how today so many holiday movies are being made, especially on TV (Yes, I do mean the two Hallmark channels!). When I was a kid in the 70s we had the classics from the Golden Age (A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street, White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life et al) and the specials like How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. With the cable explosion and the Internet we can entertain ourselves 24/7 from now until Christmas night. I've collected a lot of holiday films/specials/episodes on home video over the years, but there are some that still escape DVD. On top of my list, as I have mentioned before is the original 1966 version of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory starring Geraldine Page. It's never received a proper DVD/Blu-ray release, yet practically every Hallmark Christmas TV-movie is already out there in stores. Makes no sense.....

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"Yes Virginia There Is A Santa Claus" is excellent on Blu-Ray. It really looks good, and it makes me wish that more made-for-TV Christmas movies, such as the Patrick Stewart "A Christmas Carol", would get nice careful transfers to Blu-Ray. There's a fun 45-minute interview (in HD) with the producer too, which is full of Charles Bronson stuff. And "Prancer" fans should be delighted by the upgrade to Blu-Ray; the atmosphere of a snowy Michigan/Indiana Christmas is enhanced, and the audio is very sweet indeed. That Maurice Jarre score is a favourite of mine, and it sounds great here.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
"Yes Virginia There Is A Santa Claus" is excellent on Blu-Ray. It really looks good, and it makes me wish that more made-for-TV Christmas movies, such as the Patrick Stewart "A Christmas Carol", would get nice careful transfers to Blu-Ray. There's a fun 45-minute interview (in HD) with the producer too, which is full of Charles Bronson stuff. And "Prancer" fans should be delighted by the upgrade to Blu-Ray; the atmosphere of a snowy Michigan/Indiana Christmas is enhanced, and the audio is very sweet indeed. That Maurice Jarre score is a favourite of mine, and it sounds great here.

"Yes Virginia, There is A Santa Clause," Are we talking the early seventies animated cartoon or the recent live action remake?

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks