Christmas lights that run on DC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ..or should I be politically correct and call them "holiday lights"???

Anyway, I just had some looney idea that it would be cool to decorate my commuter bike with christmas lights, but the problem is I would need lights that run on DC, i.e. something like a 12v NiMH waterbottle battery that powers my dual-beam bike lights, except it would power a short set of christmas lights... Wouldn't that be cool, weird, eccentric, crazy, all in one??

Just brainstorming here, anybody know of DC xmas lights or should I just make my own???

Jay

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Standard holiday lights (the miniature bulbs) are low voltage; many of them are wired in series to allow them to be run from 120 Volts AC (or 220 in countries that use 220). A common configuration for 120V is 50 2.5-volt bulbs in series.

You could rig up such lights to run from a 12 volt battery by using shorter strings. A string of 10 1.2 volt bulbs, or 5 2.5-volt bulbs in series could be run from a 12 volt battery. If you want 20 lights, use 2 strings of 10 1.2V bulbs.

KJP

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I've seen small strings of lights in stores that ran off a couple of D cell batteries. You should be able to find them somewhere...

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks guys, too late for this year, but next year sounds like a complete wacky idea.. I'm wacky enough to do it too..
    [​IMG]
    Jay