Christmas in July... or, the 'Slow Down C Advertising' campaign..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jul 14, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm christian, or catholic. Not sure what the difference is between the two, and don't really care [​IMG]. I celebrate Christmas, Easter, and all that fun stuff...but I'm not real religious, consdering that as far as we know, it's all made up and we shouldn't take it too seriously.

As if Christmas isn't overly commercalized already, I just heard a commercial for Christmas in July... 'Get your kids down to see Santa, and have their Christmas wish sent in early' was the tag line for this stores promotion.

I understand it's blazing hot out.... 96 on monday here in NJ. People want to imagine that it's cold out, and thinking of Christmas can't hurt. But do we really need to be reminded of Christmas this early? Is it time to actually have to regulate a holiday from getting too annoying?

As a kid, I loved it. After Thanksgiving, the Christmas adds began, Tree was put up, lights where strung. Three more weeks till christmas vacation, and all the toys.

Now, we have Christmas adds, and even worse, all Christmas music stations, starting in OCTOBER! Stores already have their christmas stuff out and skip Halloween and Thanksgiving altogether.

What I would love to organise one of these days, is a 'slow down Christmas' month in December. Instead of answering to the mass merchandising and falling prey to corporate greed.... just buy one gift. Three for anyone under 14. And buy online for that matter.

Show folks your tired of the over promotion of Christmas. Give the Jewish folks a chance to put up with the holiday mess and over advertise Hanukah [​IMG],..

Just another rant from yours truly [​IMG].

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Well, as you know, there is a war against christmas in the United States. Billo himself said so. There's also a war against Easter. We should celebrate this store for even mentioning the word "Christmas". [​IMG]

3. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

This idea of "Christmas in July" isn't totally new. I'm 22 now, but I can remember being about 7 or 8 maybe, and going to a "Christmas in July" festival. But yes, I don't like the idea (not for any religious, or moral reasons, mind you). I just think Christmas only comes one time a year, and it's impossible to manufacture or recapture the essence for purposes such as these.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

When I read this thread’s title, I thought that it was going to be a very different discussion. Some restaurants in Adelaide, South Australia used to feature a ‘Christmas in July’ menu, with traditional, heavy, warming, cold weather food. Naturally the traditional food does not work quite so well in Australia’s summer, where a good many go to the beach.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Yeah, Christmas in July has been around for a long time, as far as summer sales go. Actually, I was surprised not to see as many this year as before. They don't go as far as having Santa around here, though.