What's new

Christmas films Blu-ray wishlist (1 Viewer)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Great news that "Comfort and Joy" is coming out in bluray anywhere in the known world....

Three movies that deserve a bluray release -- "The Christmas That Almost Wasn't" and two Christmas movies starring Ernest Borgnine -- "Spirit of the Season" and 'A Grandpa for Christmas"

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Konstantinos said:
Maybe you mean March?

Because the Bluray is released February 29th.
I swear I saw February 16, but it was my eyes showing my brain what it wanted to see. March "Little Christmas" it'll have to be. I wonder if the director's commentary from the UK DVD will be included?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I was able to score the Original Christmas Classics set from Target. Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and Magoo are definitely real HD and gorgeous. Real effort was put into these transfers. Frosty Returns is HD and appears to not be an upscale. Hard to tell because the design consists of fairly simplistic line drawings. In any case, it looks really nice. Little Drummer Boy is HD but super-dark and looks like an upscale. Cricket on the Hearth is SD but pretty much looks like what it is, a straight SD transfer of an imperfect element.

If you don't already own all of these, it's a no-brainer. Rudolph and Frosty have been going for around $10 each on Blu-ray, so this set is a bargain.

EDIT: Here are some screenshots.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h53m37s287.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h54m15s663.png

Frosty the Snowman

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h56m50s016.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h57m32s122.png

Santa Claus Is Coming to Town

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h03m56s206.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h04m36s356.png

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h59m25s411.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h59m53s267.png

Frosty Returns

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h55m20s427.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-17h55m57s740.png

Little Drummer Boy

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h00m54s068.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h01m37s947.png

Cricket on the Hearth

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h02m23s503.png

vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h03m02s468.png

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Does the "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" Blu-Ray in your set have the audio commentary, storyboard sequences, song demo, and slide show from the "Collector's Edition Full Of Holiday Cheer" set I have?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Does the "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" Blu-Ray in your set have the audio commentary, storyboard sequences, song demo, and slide show from the "Collector's Edition Full Of Holiday Cheer" set I have?
Sadly, no. There are a few supplements on Rudolph but Magoo just has the special.

FYI, there is a replacement programme for the above box:
I noticed the fade while watching Santa Claus Is Coming to Town last night. It looks like it was made for a commercial break for a cable TV showing. I thought it was odd. Nothing is cut, though, so I'm not sure it will be worth it for me to go through the replacement process. From subsequent posts in that thread, it seems that the phone number provided is for the wrong studio anyway. Honestly, considering the price, it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Where is the fade on "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"? I have the Blu-Ray from 2010's "Limited Keepsake Edition" Classic Media (Universal) set, which also had Blu-Rays of "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty The Snowman/Frosty Returns", as well as a 7-song Christmas CD. I also have the 2001 "As Seen On CBS" Sony DVD of "Santa", so I'd be interested in checking both of those. By the way, the "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" Blu-Ray was way better than the older DVD I had, as if it was completely remastered.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I want Holiday Affair (1949), starring Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh. It's supposed to be good but I haven't seen it. I keep waiting patiently for a broadcast on TCM, but no dice. I'm going to break down and buy the DVD this season. So we'll see.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
No sooner did I post that, and I decided it was time to check again -- looks like TCM will broadcast it on Dec. 6! All right!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Race Bannon said:
No sooner did I post that, and I decided it was time to check again -- looks like TCM will broadcast it on Dec. 6! All right!
TCM usually broadcasts it every holiday season.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The same 4 movies that are in the "Warner Home Video Classic Holiday Collection Volume 2" DVD box set are available for much less in this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Favorites-Classic-Blossoms-Happened/dp/B0050MB43A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448680189&sr=8-1&keywords=holiday+affair+dvd

"Blossoms" is okay but it's barely a Christmas movie, and "All Mine To Give" is very good but very sad. "It Happened On 5th Avenue" is a lot of screwball fun though, and this Robert Mitchum fan considers "Holiday Affair" an essential Christmas movie.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Robert Crawford said:
TCM usually broadcasts it every holiday season.

Well, I was looking for it this year, so boom. Meant to be.

One of the reasons it's on my mind is it is one of the "gaps" in my long term project to watch every single Robert Mitchum movie. When you start getting a big number accomplished, the gaps bug you even more.

I have this project for many classic movie stars, but with Mitchum I'm at over 50 movies so curating the gaps is starting to be a fun game.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
davidmatychuk said:
The same 4 movies that are in the "Warner Home Video Classic Holiday Collection Volume 2" DVD box set are available for much less in this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Favorites-Classic-Blossoms-Happened/dp/B0050MB43A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448680189&sr=8-1&keywords=holiday+affair+dvd

"Blossoms" is okay but it's barely a Christmas movie, and "All Mine To Give" is very good but very sad. "It Happened On 5th Avenue" is a lot of screwball fun though, and this Robert Mitchum fan considers "Holiday Affair" an essential Christmas movie.

That's the DVD I had my eye on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of course, if you were to go ahead and buy the DVD (of Holiday Affair)...that would likely mean the announcement of a Blu-ray would follow! :laugh:

So we'd all be grateful if you wouldn't mind taking one for the team...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Race Bannon said:
Well, I was looking for it this year, so boom. Meant to be.

One of the reasons it's on my mind is it is one of the "gaps" in my long term project to watch every single Robert Mitchum movie. When you start getting a big number accomplished, the gaps bug you even more.

I have this project for many classic movie stars, but with Mitchum I'm at over 50 movies so curating the gaps is starting to be a fun game.
By the way, TCM is showing Holiday Affair three different times in December. It's showing on the 6th, 18th and 24th of December.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Where is the fade on "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"?

I didn't go back and watch the whole program again myself, but a couple of folks over at Blu-ray.com have said that the two noticeable ones are at 8:29 and 42:05.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Brian Kidd said:
I didn't go back and watch the whole program again myself, but a couple of folks over at Blu-ray.com have said that the two noticeable ones are at 8:29 and 42:05.
There are no fade-outs at those points on the Vivendi Blu-Ray, or anywhere else during the program. The Sony Wonder DVD version is fade-out free as well. Is it just me, or are there a lot more of these strange defects on Blu-Rays than there ever used to be, even on DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks