Christmas DVD-A titles from Silverline

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

With the holidays coming up, I have been looking at the Silverline Christmas DVD-A titles. Does anyone here have any of them? And if so, how is the quality? I don't own any other Silverline titles, but I have heard that they aren't the greatest...

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

It seems like only Silverline's "sub" label, Sanctuary, is putting out rather so-so sounding dvd-audios. But these discs (from what I've read) are made from either live tapes or copies of studio master tapes, neither of which will sound good on any format.
    I own three of their discs: Inside the Music: New Age; Dishwalla's Opaline, and Fireside's uomini d'onore (nope, no capitals). The first two sound excellent, especially the New Age sampler's DTS track; the Swedish semi-metal album sounds pretty good--the bass is awesome! The New Age disc is a great demo disc to show off quality sound AND what "immersive" surround mixes sound like. Though to me, the music is rather boring. I really wish the king of new age music labels, Windham Hill, would get into dvd-audio.
    "KeithH"--I think--owns Swinging for the Fences by The Big Phat Band, a Silverline release, and it's supposed to sound very good.
    Speaking of new age/Windham Hill......if you like quality solo piano music AND you like The Doors, now there's an album of this and a free MP3 of the "Light My Fire" track available[​IMG] (I found this while researching X-Mas music on CDNOW.com. I have two of George Winston's albums and just bought his December CD last Saturday). George recorded a tribute
    album to the Doors, and it sounds pretty good. The free MP3 is ten minutes long!: http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID...itemid=1596558
    LJ