What's new

Christmas album reissues (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mike Frezon said:
I posted this over in the High-Rez music thread a while ago...but anyone into high-resolution music might like to know that an SACD re-issue of the Nat King Cole Christmas album is due out soon (this Friday, in fact)...for a reasonable price ($17.99!) on Amazon.

Another vintage classic without a bad track.

81rPfBwW4hL._SL1500_.jpg
I really have to thank you for posting this. I just got the copy I ordered from Amazon. I have always been disappointed in versions of this album I heard before as the sound didn't sound right. This is clearly the best ever. Thanks so much!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Ray!

I purchase a bunch of Christmas CDs each season (a combination of new releases and older stuff, too. In fact, I usually overdo it each year!).

And I agree with you that THIS release (the NKC :The Christmas Song) is easily the highlight of this year.

Even though I've heard it thousands of times, I have NEVER heard it sound so good. :thumbsup:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I know this group of Christmas music junkies will know this question, did they ever reissue the old Firestone Christmas albums on CD?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Patrick_S said:
I know this group of Christmas music junkies will know this question, did they ever reissue the old Firestone Christmas albums on CD?

The one I know for certain was Vol 5, which was released as Julie Andrews Greatest Christmas Songs (earlier as A Christmas Treasure). The CD release includes "The Lamb of God", which was not on the Firestone version, as well as three bonus tracks from the Living Stereo album, Julie Andrews Sings.

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Christmas-Songs-Julie-Andrews/dp/B003O5MOLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1451673654&sr=1-1&keywords=julie+andrews+greatest+christmas+songs

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Thank you everyone for the information.

I know they aren't the greatest of albums but they bring back some wonderful childhood memories so I'll definitely be getting volume 3.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Patrick_S said:
Thank you everyone for the information.

I know they aren't the greatest of albums but they bring back some wonderful childhood memories so I'll definitely be getting volume 3.
Then they are among the greatest of albums for you.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just NOT in time for the holidays--well, there's always future holidays--I got this SACD in the mail today from Acoustic Sounds:

CAPP_094_SA__111085__11132015031342-7211.jpg

HERE'S the track listing. Technically, I guess this isn't a "Christmas Album Reissue" but it behaves in the classic sense of those great old compilation Christmas albums we all have enjoyed over the years.

It sounds great. I'll bet most of these tracks originated from Capitol Records. Those all sound beyond great. Those that weren't are across-the board in terms of fidelity.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'll be listing my 2015 Christmas music purchases as soon as I pick up my final special order from Sekora's Records in downtown Vancouver, a venerable classical music retailer that has many ordering sources. In the meantime, I heartily recommend "Jingle Bell Rocks!", a recent documentary, now available on DVD from Oscilloscope. It's about Christmas music fanatics and collectors, and it is quite wonderful. Here's a link; check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/jinglebellrocksdoc/?fref=nf

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
This topic should come with a warning: "MAY PROVOKE INTENSE NOSTALGIA AND CREDIT CARD ACTIVITY".

davidmatychuk said:
I'll be listing my 2015 Christmas music purchases as soon as I pick up my final special order from Sekora's Records in downtown Vancouver, a venerable classical music retailer that has many ordering sources. In the meantime, I heartily recommend "Jingle Bell Rocks!", a recent documentary, now available on DVD from Oscilloscope. It's about Christmas music fanatics and collectors, and it is quite wonderful. Here's a link; check it out:

"A warning," indeed!

Thanks, David! THAT DVD is now in my Amazon cart. It is for sale for $19.99 there.

Sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse! :biggrin:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
In the meantime, I heartily recommend "Jingle Bell Rocks!", a recent documentary, now available on DVD from Oscilloscope. It's about Christmas music fanatics and collectors, and it is quite wonderful. Here's a link; check it out:

Mike Frezon said:
Thanks, David! THAT DVD is now in my Amazon cart. It is for sale for $19.99 there.

Sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse! :biggrin:

I was deliberate on this title...and was rewarded.

It has dropped to $11.99 at Amazon. The trigger has now been pulled, blindly.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Start saving money, everybody!
Real Gone Music has some great reissues coming this November:

Mantovani: Christmas Carols

Ray Conniff: Christmas With Conniff, We Wish You A Merry Christmas and Here We Come A-Caroling (The Complete Columbia Christmas Recordings) (2-CD Set)

The Norman Luboff Choir: Christmas With The Norman Luboff Choir and Songs Of Christmas

The Robert Shaw Chorale: Christmas Hymns And Carols, Volume 1 and Christmas Hymns And Carols, Volume 2

The Living Strings and The Living Guitars: The Sound Of Christmas and The Joy Of Christmas

Sammy Kaye: I Want To Wish You A Merry Christmas

Eddy Arnold: Christmas With Eddy Arnold (The Complete RCA Christmas Recordings)

Mitch Miller And The Gang: Christmas Sing Along With Mitch (Expanded Edition)

Jack Jones: The Jack Jones Christmas Album

The Ventures: The Ventures Christmas Album

The Supremes: Merry Christmas

This is some great music, and I'm sure something for everyone here. Or if you are like me, you'll purchase them all!
I found this information on Chip Arcuri's Yulelog.com message board. Check it out for further information.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk

Ray Conniff: Christmas With Conniff, We Wish You A Merry Christmas and Here We Come A-Caroling (The Complete Columbia Christmas Recordings) (2-CD Set)

The Norman Luboff Choir: Christmas With The Norman Luboff Choir and Songs Of Christmas

The Robert Shaw Chorale: Christmas Hymns And Carols, Volume 1 and Christmas Hymns And Carols, Volume 2

The Living Strings and The Living Guitars: The Sound Of Christmas and The Joy Of Christmas

This is some great music, and I'm sure something for everyone here. Or if you are like me, you'll purchase them all!
I found this information on Chip Arcuri's Yulelog.com message board. Check it out for further information.

Am I crazy for still getting a thrill out of retiring vinyl copies of cherished albums in favour of new remastered CD's? Well, okay then.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

We are getting close to release day on these "Real Gone" releases. Woohoo!

I just noticed that Real Gone is also releasing a CD of inspirational Mills Brothers songs (mainly Christian hymns). This sounds great, too. It will be a December release.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My all-time favorite Christmas album (and, mind you, I am almost 66 years old) is Percy Faith's Music Of Christmas from 1958. Granted this was also my father's choice of music for the holiday, and he played it often during the season I considered to be the most exhilarating, suspenseful, family-friendly of all as I was growing up. Those of my age group who attended the Christmas show at the Hadyn Planetarium in NYC in the 60's might recall, as I do, that O HOLY NIGHT and several other tracks from this album were heard as the awesome Zeiss projector stood against the blue and purple lights of the dome just before the show began. To my mind, there has been no more beautiful version of that tune ever, by anyone, period.

51Z%2BJihs3nL._SY450_.jpg

Great "next year" news for fans of this album. It was announced back in August that this will have a new remastered release in 2017.

From the Yule Log Message Board:

And now, after years of perseverance, I have finally secured the re-release on CD -- with a PROPER digital remastering -- of the #1 album in my all-time Top 500:

Percy Faith's 1959 stereo re-recording of Music Of Christmas.

For this release, I will personally write the CD liner notes myself. In addition, we will try to secure from Sony the following seven great bonus tracks that came from non-Christmas Percy Faith albums:

"Toyland" (from The Columbia Album of Victor Herbert LP, 1958)
"March of the Toys" (from The Columbia Album of Victor Herbert LP, 1958)
"My Favorite Things" (from The Sound of Music LP, 1960)
"Be a Santa" (from Subways Are for Sleeping LP, 1961)
"Brazilian Sleigh Bells" (stereo version from Carefree LP, 1961)
"Judy (aka Christmas Is)" (instrumental version from More Themes for Young Lovers, 1964)
"Soleado (aka When a Child Is Born)" (from Summer Place '76, 1976)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm all giddy about these Real Gone re-issues that should be on my doorstep this Friday! I'm thinking of doing an Alastair Sim Christmas Day jig on the bed when I first play these!

Jack Jones, Mitch Miller, Norman Luboff, Living Strings, Robert Shaw, Ray Conniff. These (and others) are the names from my Christmas musical childhood. It is going to be extremely difficult this year to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to give these CDs a whirl. Quite a few of these will replace low quality mp3 vinyl-burns that I downloaded online years previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks