1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas album reissues

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rodney, Oct 11, 2015.

1. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    Mike. If you don't own the Mathis albums I'd recommend it highly. Mathis is always required listening in our home during the holidays. The only omission is his last Christmas album released in 2013. Great stuff.

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    When I was working for Capitol Records in the early 1990's, I produced quite a few Christmas LP reissues for CD, all taken from the original mono or 3-track masters. They include Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Lou Rawls, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Kenton, etc.

3. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    And all are wonderful Christmas albums. Another favorite Capitol release of mine from that era which wasn't reissued for many years is June Christy's This Time of Year, a theme album with all original songs. Probably the best known is The Merriest. Highly recommended if you want something a little different and jazzy to spice up the holiday season.

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Real Gone is running a 20% off sale on all their Christmas titles. The Mathis title will be part of my next order. I've had Rosie, Andy, Lynn, and the Statlers in my car CD player since my initial order singing non stop Christmas tunes.

Rodney likes this.
  5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. I probably own most of them, Bob! :D

davidmatychuk and Bob Furmanek like this.
  6. Osato

Osato Producer

I have my moms house or copy of Lou Rawls Christmas on vinyl. Great one. I love Christmas music too. I kind of like discovering albums that I haven't heard vs the radio (which I listen to at times too) ones which seem to be the same 35 songs played over and over.

My son and I love the Charlie Brown Christmas album.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Steve:

Very helpful post. Not as far as my wallet is concerned. But I just ordered five selection from them...including the Mathis.

I went and checked and found that the only Mathis Christmas disc in my Christmas CD collection was the most recent 2013 disc. All the others were LP...or I was depending on some of the compilation discs for various Mathis tracks.

[​IMG]

And anal kind of guy that I am...all the Mathis LPs still have the plastic on the sleeves! I know people have always said its not a good practice (because it'll warp the vinyl discs!)...but I have never found that to be true (if stored properly). And the benefits to the cardboard sleeves from the plastic trumped any scares about warping. Look how nice those look! Two still have the price I paid at Strawberries Records for the LPs ($4.99!). :D

8. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

You are going to be very satisfied with all of your selections, including the wonderful Johnny Mathis collection.

Real Gone did a wonderful job on the remastering and these albums sound great!

Steve...O likes this.
  9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Rodney! Let's see...what else did I spring for?!?

The Mathis set. David Rose. Steve & Eydie. Bobby Darin. and Patti Page.

By the way, the Mathis set was cheaper than the Amazon pricing due to the sale.

10. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I wasn't even aware of this album, now I have to have it! Good stuff here. Keep 'em coming, gang.

JoelA likes this.
  11. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

If you haven't gotten it already, I would highly recommend the 2012 release of Percy Faith, the Complete Music of Christmas.

While it is the original 1954 mono masterpiece and not the later 1959 stereo release, I think that Maria Triana did a great remastering this, and many believe the mono version sounds much better than the 1959 stereo Sony/Columbia release currently available.

Plus you get the great 1959 release of Hallelujah! to make it complete. Great stuff!

12. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    It's fantastic that there's a reissue of the mono version. I've only ever heard the stereo version, and I'm looking forward to hearing what a pristine mono mix sounds like.

13. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Thanks for reminding me about this album - for some reason I had it filed under vocals instead of holiday. Fixed that and am enjoying for the first time in a few years!

JoelA likes this.
  14. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I'm very pleased this is being released, but Nat King Cole's Christmas catalog has long confused me. There were multiple recordings of various Christmas songs I think or, at least The Christmas Song, and perhaps others: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Song)(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_of_Christmas_(Nat_King_Cole_album)). So this is the latest version of the 1963 reissue of the 1961 album The Magic of Christmas. I guess that it all has string accompaniment. Rhino's Billboard Greatest Christmas Hits (1935–1954) contained the original 1946 recording of The Christmas Song without strings and with the Nat King Cole trio alone, which is the superior version IMO. Does anyone know if the trio recorded any other Christmas songs without string accompaniment? If so, are they collected in any easily reachable place? Thanks

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Joe:

I completely agree that the King Cole Trio's first-ever version of The Christmas Song is the preferred version. But I think all of NKC's output with the trio is preferable to his later works. :D

Not that the later stuff is shabby either!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't know of any other Christmas songs recorded by the Trio. And I think I would have heard them if they existed. It's too bad.

Whoops. Just found this version of All I Want for Christmas is (My Two Front Teeth). It's on Disc #14.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

A quick look in my collection yielded this one:

[​IMG]

Say Bob...would you be interested at all to know that here in Albany, NY we have a local chain of Fish Fry places called Bob & Ron's? :D

[​IMG]

KPmusmag and Bob Furmanek like this.
  17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Oh, that's prime. Thank you!

18. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Jasmine is one of those English companies that profits by the different copyright laws in Europe for audio recordings. They generally do a very good job reproducing sound on CD from old records. I have their Winter Wonderland Christmas collection, as well as some other compilations. Anything they do is going to be worthwhile.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And, as you can see from that image Bob, Bob & Ron's is a pretty popular place around here...

:D

[​IMG]

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I saw a couple Johnny Mathis Christmas CD albums at Big Lots this week for $5 each. One was "Christmas Eve" from 1986 (which I picked up). I believe the other may have been a compilation album.