What's new

Christmas album reissues (1 Viewer)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Mike Frezon said:
From the OP:

I feel remiss that I haven't posted my impressions of The Three Suns CD. It was the lone item off these offerings that I have ordered (I would have ordered the Glen Campbell release, but I have studiously collected all his Christmas offerings over the years--wanna see my 7" reel-to-reel tape of That Christmas Feeling?)

Anyway, the Three Suns disc sounds remarkably vibrant and sonically terrific. The stereo recording is superb. I don't know if this has been remastered in any way...but it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday...yet it retains that '60s "vibe." Very cool experience.

I may spring for the Mathis collection next. Any thoughts on that title, Rodney?
Mike. If you don't own the Mathis albums I'd recommend it highly. Mathis is always required listening in our home during the holidays. The only omission is his last Christmas album released in 2013. Great stuff.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Bob Furmanek said:
When I was working for Capitol Records in the early 1990's, I produced quite a few Christmas LP reissues for CD, all taken from the original mono or 3-track masters. They include Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Lou Rawls, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Kenton, etc.
And all are wonderful Christmas albums. Another favorite Capitol release of mine from that era which wasn't reissued for many years is June Christy's This Time of Year, a theme album with all original songs. Probably the best known is The Merriest. Highly recommended if you want something a little different and jazzy to spice up the holiday season.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Real Gone is running a 20% off sale on all their Christmas titles. The Mathis title will be part of my next order. I've had Rosie, Andy, Lynn, and the Statlers in my car CD player since my initial order singing non stop Christmas tunes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bob Furmanek said:
When I was working for Capitol Records in the early 1990's, I produced quite a few Christmas LP reissues for CD, all taken from the original mono or 3-track masters. They include Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Lou Rawls, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Kenton, etc.

Yeah. I probably own most of them, Bob! :biggrin:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Bob Furmanek said:
I have my moms house or copy of Lou Rawls Christmas on vinyl. Great one. I love Christmas music too. I kind of like discovering albums that I haven't heard vs the radio (which I listen to at times too) ones which seem to be the same 35 songs played over and over.

My son and I love the Charlie Brown Christmas album.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve...O said:
Real Gone is running a 20% off sale on all their Christmas titles. The Mathis title will be part of my next order. I've had Rosie, Andy, Lynn, and the Statlers in my car CD player since my initial order singing non stop Christmas tunes.

Steve:

Very helpful post. Not as far as my wallet is concerned. But I just ordered five selection from them...including the Mathis.

I went and checked and found that the only Mathis Christmas disc in my Christmas CD collection was the most recent 2013 disc. All the others were LP...or I was depending on some of the compilation discs for various Mathis tracks.

gallery_286742_34_39595.jpg

And anal kind of guy that I am...all the Mathis LPs still have the plastic on the sleeves! I know people have always said its not a good practice (because it'll warp the vinyl discs!)...but I have never found that to be true (if stored properly). And the benefits to the cardboard sleeves from the plastic trumped any scares about warping. Look how nice those look! Two still have the price I paid at Strawberries Records for the LPs ($4.99!). :biggrin:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Steve:

Very helpful post. Not as far as my wallet is concerned. But I just ordered five selection from them...including the Mathis.

I went and checked and found that the only Mathis Christmas disc in my Christmas CD collection was the most recent 2013 disc. All the others were LP...or I was depending on some of the compilation discs for various Mathis tracks.

You are going to be very satisfied with all of your selections, including the wonderful Johnny Mathis collection.

Real Gone did a wonderful job on the remastering and these albums sound great!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Rodney! Let's see...what else did I spring for?!?

The Mathis set. David Rose. Steve & Eydie. Bobby Darin. and Patti Page.

By the way, the Mathis set was cheaper than the Amazon pricing due to the sale.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JoelA said:
Another favorite Capitol release of mine from that era which wasn't reissued for many years is June Christy's This Time of Year, a theme album with all original songs. Probably the best known is The Merriest. Highly recommended if you want something a little different and jazzy to spice up the holiday season.

I wasn't even aware of this album, now I have to have it! Good stuff here. Keep 'em coming, gang.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you haven't gotten it already, I would highly recommend the 2012 release of Percy Faith, the Complete Music of Christmas.

While it is the original 1954 mono masterpiece and not the later 1959 stereo release, I think that Maria Triana did a great remastering this, and many believe the mono version sounds much better than the 1959 stereo Sony/Columbia release currently available.

Plus you get the great 1959 release of Hallelujah! to make it complete. Great stuff!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Rodney said:
If you haven't gotten it already, I would highly recommend the 2012 release of Percy Faith, the Complete Music of Christmas.

While it is the original 1954 mono masterpiece and not the later 1959 stereo release, I think that Maria Triana did a great remastering this, and many believe the mono version sounds much better than the 1959 stereo Sony/Columbia release currently available.

Plus you get the great 1959 release of Hallelujah! to make it complete. Great stuff!
It's fantastic that there's a reissue of the mono version. I've only ever heard the stereo version, and I'm looking forward to hearing what a pristine mono mix sounds like.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
JoelA said:
And all are wonderful Christmas albums. Another favorite Capitol release of mine from that era which wasn't reissued for many years is June Christy's This Time of Year, a theme album with all original songs. Probably the best known is The Merriest. Highly recommended if you want something a little different and jazzy to spice up the holiday season.

Thanks for reminding me about this album - for some reason I had it filed under vocals instead of holiday. Fixed that and am enjoying for the first time in a few years!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mike Frezon said:
I posted this over in the High-Rez music thread a while ago...but anyone into high-resolution music might like to know that an SACD re-issue of the Nat King Cole Christmas album is due out soon (this Friday, in fact)...for a reasonable price ($17.99!) on Amazon.

Another vintage classic without a bad track.
I'm very pleased this is being released, but Nat King Cole's Christmas catalog has long confused me. There were multiple recordings of various Christmas songs I think or, at least The Christmas Song, and perhaps others: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Song)(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_of_Christmas_(Nat_King_Cole_album)). So this is the latest version of the 1963 reissue of the 1961 album The Magic of Christmas. I guess that it all has string accompaniment. Rhino's Billboard Greatest Christmas Hits (1935–1954) contained the original 1946 recording of The Christmas Song without strings and with the Nat King Cole trio alone, which is the superior version IMO. Does anyone know if the trio recorded any other Christmas songs without string accompaniment? If so, are they collected in any easily reachable place? Thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joe:

I completely agree that the King Cole Trio's first-ever version of The Christmas Song is the preferred version. But I think all of NKC's output with the trio is preferable to his later works. :biggrin:

Not that the later stuff is shabby either!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't know of any other Christmas songs recorded by the Trio. And I think I would have heard them if they existed. It's too bad.

Whoops. Just found this version of All I Want for Christmas is (My Two Front Teeth). It's on Disc #14.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bob Furmanek said:

A quick look in my collection yielded this one:

gallery_286742_34_506562.jpg

Say Bob...would you be interested at all to know that here in Albany, NY we have a local chain of Fish Fry places called Bob & Ron's? :biggrin:

920x920.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
davidmatychuk said:
Check out Jasmine Records, an English company. I have their 2 CD "The Sounds Of Christmas", and it is fantastic. The Three Suns' other Christmas album is on it in its entirety, and almost nothing on the entire set is duplicated on any of my 600 or so Christmas CD's. I see their catalog has some upcoming new Christmas compilations that look great; I know what I'm asking Santa for this year.
http://www.jasmine-records.co.uk/acatalog/genreindex31.html
Jasmine is one of those English companies that profits by the different copyright laws in Europe for audio recordings. They generally do a very good job reproducing sound on CD from old records. I have their Winter Wonderland Christmas collection, as well as some other compilations. Anything they do is going to be worthwhile.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw a couple Johnny Mathis Christmas CD albums at Big Lots this week for $5 each. One was "Christmas Eve" from 1986 (which I picked up). I believe the other may have been a compilation album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks