Christmas album reissues

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I started the Bing Crosby "The Complete Decca Christmas Songbook" yesterday afternoon. It's a very good listen but can sound a bit repetetive with 3 songs repeating rather quickly on the first disc. At least they're slightly different each time as well as material I like. :)

As much as I enjoy Bing's recordings I've never much cared for his rendition of Adeste Fideles, mostly due to his phrasing and pronunciation of some words (and there are 2 versions on this album). It's the same with him singing Ave Maria. His pronunciation of some of the Latin words is wrong and, to me, rather jarring and he has some rather odd phrasing. The more modern vocal accompaniment on Ave Maria also sounds odd to me. In spite of that I like his voice so rarely skip them.

It's very interesting hearing the various versions of some of the recordings and how he made little changes through the years. I have 4 selections left on disc 1 before it's off to disc 2. That disc has several selections I'm exited for, one of which is "Snow" from the unnofficial Holiday Inn remake White Christmas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Another year, another new Kate Rusby Christmas album all of a sudden:

https://katerusby.com/album/holly-head/

Mike Frezon (and everyone else who can't get enough) alert!
David: You da man! Many thanks!

I went to order it right away! Too bad Amazon.com didn't have it. I was going to check Amazon.uk...but just ended up ordering from the site you posted the link of. I have no idea how long it'll take...

Reactions: davidmatychuk

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know where I can find a good copy of the Scrooge soundtrack in cd? Original 1970 score.

iTunes may be my best bet but I would prefer cd.

actually I don’t see it on iTunes....

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
David: You da man! Many thanks!

I went to order it right away! Too bad Amazon.com didn't have it. I was going to check Amazon.uk...but just ended up ordering from the site you posted the link of. I have no idea how long it'll take...
It's on that Spotify too. I ordered it instantly from iTunes, burned a CD immediately, put the disc in my CD player as fast as my feet could get me there. How she does it, I don't know, but I sure am glad she does it.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
It seems I'm a little late to the party, fellas, but I wanted to share a thought on a Gene Autry reissue of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. It isn't his classic 40's and 50's stuff, but it's pretty good. The reissue company, Varese Sarabande, claims it's remastered. I usually like them, but what I streamed was fake stereo. Come on, folks, it's 2019. We should be past the days of using fake stereo masters. These are the dreadful Columbia fake stereo recordings where one side is bass heavy and the other is thin sounding. I re-recorded it in mono and it sounds good.

Rodney

Premium
I've been remiss in posting in this thread, but in case anyone is interested Real Gone Music celebrated Christmas in July with a new re-issue from 1961, Seasons Greetings: The Fantastic Strings of Felix Slatkin

Currently this CD is only available from their site as an exclusive through November.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I got their e-mail about that release, Rodney, and it sounded FASCINATING!

Have you gotten it? How does it sound? The use of stereo was intriguing.

But I had never heard of this release before.

Rodney

Premium
I recommend it, as I love this type of music, and Real Gone remasters these recordings extremely well.

For this new reissue, Real Gone has commissioned Felix Slatkin’s son, famed maestro Leonard Slatkin, to write new liner notes. Felix Slatkin’s other son, Frederick Zlotkin, is primary cellist for the New York City Ballet, and has contributed family photos for the booklet. Mike Milchner has done the remastering at SonicVision. And note that the original LP sleeve listed track 10 as “I Heard the Christmas Bells on Christmas Day” but it was actually “O Come Little Children.” This has been corrected on this new reissue.

Reactions: Osato

Rodney

Premium
I just read that Real Gone Music will not be releasing any new Christmas re-issues this year other than Seasons Greetings: The Fantastic Strings of Felix Slatkin that is already available.

I did find a few new releases that I have pre-ordered:

And though this technically isn't part of Christmas Album re-issues, I do want to include Dolly's latest Christmas album:

Reactions: Osato

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Dear Rodney,
Please tell us how the Home on the Range and the Christmas Ball CD's are? Would you recommend them? They look interesting.

--jThree

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa